1. batailleordie's rating of the film Bluebeard

Beautiful and evocative like a real fairytale

2. Rosina Rossini's rating of the film Bluebeard

Clumsy, at best, sloppy at worst. Everything from the costumes to the acting felt rather cheap. I get that Breillat is on a mission to get her message across (as she always does), but that shouldn't take away from story, and it nearly always does in her case. Not thrilled by this.

3. uenus's rating of the film Bluebeard

fan de la niñita que leía el cuento

4. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Bluebeard

Delightful narrative conceit here-- and the dark undercurrents of the tale are addressed honestly.

5. Tabikenezer von Higglesbloom's rating of the film Bluebeard

6. Pymo's rating of the film Bluebeard

The little sister is always right!

7. PFL's rating of the film Bluebeard

A distinctive and quietly powerful film, at once simple and complex. Masterful and mesmeric from beginning to end.

8. raggiodisole's rating of the film Bluebeard

found a way to tell the story differently, and it had some little charm, but why such a swift unexplainable ending when the buildup was so achingly laboriously slow?

9. Tom Marsh's rating of the film Bluebeard

his beard wasn't even that blue

10. Squashua's rating of the film Bluebeard

A humdrum fairy-tale adaptation that's 'Petite Maison' on the Prairie by way of an uneventful renaissance fayre performance, summarised by the Kathy Burke-in-Hagrid-Drag Bluebeard slowly tottering up a staircase for most of the climax. Also surprised that this was filmed only 6 years ago as it really does strike me as incredibly 70's daytime TV show in its style and production. Carter's The Bloody Chamber is better.

11. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Bluebeard

Breillat's Perrault-derived diptych is something to be reckoned with. The Sleeping Beauty has a little bit more going on, on a formal level, but does it have Lola Creton? No, I submit that it does not.

12. Boogler Deidermaus's rating of the film Bluebeard

The little kids telling the story make this movie work. The acting has satisfying nuance and feeling. Hearing small children speaking French with all the familiar patterns weakens my resolve to be annoyed about folk tales. The scene with the grills talking about ogres seems to be the best scene. Funny!

13. Mogambo's rating of the film Bluebeard

I loved the humor in this film. I'm unfamiliar with the source material. I wasn't sure what to expect with the parallel stories but felt like I 'got it'. It pulled off raunchy without being crude about it.

14. muse_x's rating of the film Bluebeard

nice take on an old tale.

15. Rachel Tyler's rating of the film Bluebeard

Stunning visuals, and incredible performances from such young actors.

16. barebeauty's rating of the film Bluebeard

The bond between Bluebeard and Marie-Catherine, his bride, is beautiful. Even when you know it's going to end horribly, you can't help but feel a complete romance, even in death.

17. lisa's rating of the film Bluebeard

si tu aimes les contes de fées (même que moi) et leurs adaptations (même que moi) et des récits des filles en jeunesse à deux doigts de la morbidité (encore, même que moi) alors ceci c'est à toi

18. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Bluebeard

Ufff what style, what grace, beautifully unsettling, a classic about a classic!!

19. Jack Remington's rating of the film Bluebeard

20. commonwastrel's rating of the film Bluebeard

Would have been a lot more effective if the focus stayed on the actual story of Bluebeard. The constant interjections ended up bringing everything to a halt in their failed roles as lighthearted interludes (notwithstanding the relatively intriguing ending). When Breillat returns to the tale at hand, this film really shines due in large part to Créton's impressive performance and the wonderful set designs.

21. Ragıp Soylu's rating of the film Bluebeard

Simply boring. Costumes are nice though.

22. João Eça's rating of the film Bluebeard

I'm really sorry for the parallel structure of the film. The images of the two children reading "Bluebeard's" tale, that integrate a narration inside the reality of the film, are too much, frequently ruining the "main story", either by flawed humour or simply by cutting the emotion or suspense of its counter-part. Yet, this film has some of the most overwhelming shots I've seen for a long time. Breillat must be good.

23. Flaspeneer's rating of the film Bluebeard

I quite liked Breillat's version of Bluebeard (though Mubi should also show Michael Powell's version of Bartok's opera based on the same story). It has a poetic simplicity that reminds me of Pasolini, as do the characters' silences, which suggest that we really are in someone's living room watching the honest and awkward behavior of people we know.

24. mpiellusch's rating of the film Bluebeard

A great sister movie! The dialogue wanders into a lot of humorous, poetic, and strange avenues. Some anachronistic costuming, but I don't think historical accuracy is really the point. Little girl skating on the pool of blood was also a plus.