1. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

Breathless didn't spring fully formed from Godard—it gestated here, in freewheeling gangster flicks that could make an academic cinephile like JLG want to prove that all these tropes were loaded with existential import. As for Melville, he's a proud entertainer. Why does Bob go on, when so much cries "stop!"? Maybe it's just money, maybe Melville needs a plot. Or maybe it's a metaphor for a human condition after all.

2. Renton47's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

Contrary to the precision we associate with Melville, Bob is awash with the chance elements of gambling. Not card counting or heist planning but gambling, letting the cards (and rogue people) dictate destiny. As such this is a treat of variables and missed opportunities, a low-stakes character study treated to Melville's particular blend of world-weary fatalism. 3.5

3. ammar's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

4. José Neves's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

DCP, re-rating. Early on, in its beginning, there's a foreshadowing of what this film aims. A self-expository and demiurgic use of a narrator's voice over panoramic images of a city by night: a self-conscious narrative that brings together characters-type and situations-cliché in order to mutate them into a diffuse nonchalant narrativity, casually relaxed with its own device. Cinematography by Henri Decaë.

5. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

It's hard not to be jealous of the French. They don't have the same constraints the American gangster films do. They can deal with mature themes and don't have to be morally righteous in the end. American films of this era are about simple black and white morality. The French treat you like an adult, where there's a lot more grey.

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

Une oeuvre méconnue de Jean-Pierre Melville qui mérite une urgente et rapide redécouverte ! www.cinefiches.com

7. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

3.5 // melville new wavin' in 56, a time where it seems all women were bitches

8. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

Great, but the gambling scene at the end is too long. Kills any momentum the heist had going (in cinematic terms of course).

9. Aardsy's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

10. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

I love Melville's oeuvre, but Bob Le Flambeur didn't quite hit the mark. The director's classic tropes are all present; minimal dialogue, muted suspense, cool crooks with strong morals, but the film struggles to match its elements. Bar the moody nocturnal glow, the first half of the film meanders round the block in jumpy edits. It's not until the latter half that the heist plot picks up pace & Bob grabs our interest.

11. bartkl's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

Took a long time for this film to catch my attention, and it never did for long. Bob didn't speak to me much as a protagonist, and gambling isn't entirely my cup of tea either. I appreciate the film though. It has a lovely soundtack and consistent, "free" style, which I can imagine was progressive for its time. Loved the lawn used for heist practice by the way. All in all this was no more than enjoyable to me though.

12. jonijtr's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

I'm sorry, but i hated this film, no substance at all, feels like it was made by an amateur, not by the legendary Melville.....but, it is

13. HSBilly's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

at the beginning to the mid, i thought its gonna be mediocre, predictable, and typical heist movie. i was wrong, i was wrong to doubt you, melville. plus it has bob, who's charming-ness tied with jeff costello

14. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

15. Zac Weber's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

Bob The Gambler is derived from American film noir, but Melville infuses the genre with French themes and social norms. The film utilizes a number of small camera capabilities, like weird angles and quick, swish pans. The film also features an early example of a "lost girl," the French variation on the femme fatale.

16. El Biffo's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

Bob is a beautiful loser/hero, a tragic icon of French gangster films, Michel Poiccard's ancestor, Pepe Le Moko's descendant.

17. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

18. Sarah J.B.'s rating of the film Bob le flambeur

It's certainly interesting to see a "gangster" film with such an interesting main character: ex-con, lonely, off-and-on broke. This diversion of the gangster representation we usually associate with this drama gives the film its interesting suspense, particularly surrounding his relationship with Anne, who represents a quite unusual "femme fatale." The gender dynamics present here make this Melville worth watching.

19. chris naughton's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

See sources of Cosmo Vitelli, Marty S., and many others. I love the artist who loves films or novels so much that he insists he joins and becomes part of that world - like Herzog, JC, QT. In regards to writing the mystery/thriller: the only mystery is the intentions of others; the only Thriller is the acting on one's own forecast of the future. Endless possibilities w/ these two elements for those interested.

20. Jonathan Hiott's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

21. - -'s rating of the film Bob le flambeur

It's been a while since I've seen this film. Most of it is fairly straightforward and even breezy at times. You can feel the spirit of the Nouvelle Vague vaguely surrounding the film, especially in some of the camera work and editing. Bob is a very charming character. The ending is my favorite type of ending. It's known as the "Greatest Heist Film Ever Made", a title that only truly makes sense once you've seen it.

22. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

A very well made heist film which focuses mostly on the planning of the heist and very little on the execution. The exploration of Bob the Gambler's character and how he relates to the criminals, dames, and cops in his life is fascinating and proceeds with careful slow development.

23. CVH's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

rated 'Bob Le Flambeur' 5 out of 5 stars

24. Xose Manoel Ramos's rating of the film Bob le flambeur

Un noir completamente dado a volta, na que a persoaxe máis cabaleirosa e amable do mundo loita contra as seu destino.