1. FISCHER's rating of the film Body and Soul

Devant la description d'un ministre du culte aussi immonde et pervers, fut-il noir, la censure de l'époque raccourcit l'œuvre d'une bonne quinzaine de minutes, lui octroyant de plus un dénouement positif, d'une candeur et d'une irréalité hautement risibles... www.cinefiches.com

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Body and Soul

3. Ethan's rating of the film Body and Soul

This is a good film that shows you can't put your faith in someone just because they are in a position where they are supposed to be good.

4. Drew.'s rating of the film Body and Soul

Even if it wasn't intentional, I think this movie reaches masterpiece level if the ending is viewed as a dream rather than what came before.

5. killgill's rating of the film Body and Soul

curious to know what the film would be like if Micheaux hadn't been forced to shave down the story

6. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Body and Soul

I'm not used to watching a silent flick made by an African-American filmmaker. Besides that, it was dramatically powerful (except for the ending), the meat buying scene being particularly remarkable.

7. El Biffo's rating of the film Body and Soul

Independent African-American silent cinema! Produced, directed and written by Oscar Micheaux. Starring the incredible Paul Robeson in dual roles as the wicked preacher and his good, decent brother. The corny ending was necessitated by the censors, who wouldn't allow the negative depiction of a man of the cloth. We cannot hear Robeson's beautiful voice in this silent film, but he is still magnificent.

8. Movie Blabber's rating of the film Body and Soul

The twist at the end left me cold, but until that point, it is a wrenching and powerful movie.

9. CriterionRefs's rating of the film Body and Soul

I blogged about this movie here: http://criterionreflections.blogspot.com/2009/01/body-and-soul-371.html