1. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

Doesn't know what sort of movie it wants to be

2. msmichel's rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

Maybe I've just seen too many chinese 'epics" about Sun Yat-sen but I found this one particularly disappointing. The first half of the film is historical backstory and the second an action setpiece as a rickshaw convoy is constantly attacked. A couple of good set pieces especially an epic battle featuring Donnie Yen. But the film just winds up feeling "been there done that". Not bad for genre fans but not special

3. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

Eight Hong Kong Film Awards in 2010 and the creme of the creme of local film stars here. All in all a good show with impressive action scenes but, as often in Hong Kong productions, the romantic scenes are silly. Recommended though.

4. Andre Rehal's rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

This verdict is that this film is just ok. I was expecting more of a traditional Hong Kong period beat em up action film with non stop fight scenes but got more of a dramatic action film that was in need of more action. Still, it was nice to see Donnie Yen go outside of his comfort zone before turning into the ass kicking machine we all know and love.

5. Th MZA's rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

Pretty cool dramatizing of an assassination attempt on Dr Sun Wen, b.k.a. Sun Yat-sen, China's equivalent to Dr Rizal or TJ -- founding father whose contributions continue to carry material and symbolic power. Did any of this happen? Hell if I know, I just love how this movie honors the lost art of setting up the action with emotional foreplay. Nationalism, melodrama, & kung fu conspire: Hong Kong being Hong Kong.

6. Chris Casey's rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

Easily one of my most favorite Asian films of recent years, if not of all-time. It is, indeed, emotionally manipulative (something I wish more films were!) and it is heavy on the melodrama; but, that is what makes it great , in my humble opinion.

7. Eastern Film Fans's rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

It’s a wonderful film a blockbuster people call it and maybe it is, but really for us as Asian move fans this is what it's all about a hard hitting, hard punching film with a heart of gold and a fist of iron.

8. Auteur Theorist's rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

The action scenes are the best part of this heavy handed, emotionally manipulative period piece. Yeah, I get it already. Sun Yat Sen was an important person. All the screaming in slow motion with the sentimental music really got on my nerves. Oh, well. At least, Donnie Yen takes a beating for a change.

9. Robin Chang's rating of the film Bodyguards and Assassins

Unremarkable, as expected of this kind of Chinese high-profile, historical drama