1. Isabel Arantes's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

O fim é bom. Mas o que antecede é um terrível aborrecimento.

2. Elena's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

3. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

2.5 stars. This is a schizo film for me, in format and in my response. Beautifully shot, not especially well acted but still compelling. Jean Seberg is a ravishing camera subject and she has something. David Niven does his charm routine and Deborah Kerr is wasted as the film's conscience. Every time it is on, I watch it but I am always unsatisfied...and fascinated.

4. Fool sentimental's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

5. cansu m's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

bratty jean seberg being mean to deborah kerr dot com

6. Addy K.'s rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Casual cruelties of everyday life may have been exclusive to bourgeoisie in the 50s, but with globalization and technology, ennui has proven itself the ultimate egalitarian. If emptiness and melancholia persist still among today's youth, unlike Jean Seberg's cold yet worrisome Cecile, empathy is in shorter supply. Stunningly subtle and yes demanding, TRISTESSE's many pleasures come at the price of your attention.

7. Rosina Rossini's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

A superficial story, wherein you don't actually get to know any of the characters well enough to really care about any of them. Good cinematography is not anywhere near as important as a good story, and this is not a good story, nor is it well told. A melodrama hidden inside the pretensions of French symbolism yielding an emotionally hollow result.

8. A47's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Utterly odd, remarkably bad but features some of the most unique and perverse characters ever put to screen. Preminger had such a lovely taste for the bizarre... If you watch this movie as a comedy, even the inner monologue becomes brilliant.

9. Neither/Nor's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Godard brought more meaning to this for me than Preminger himself, Seberg's character in Breathless picking up what she puts down here.

10. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

7.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2rj

11. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

The seeming lightness of tone, the youth of Seberg's lost character, the awfully vibrant colours make it doubly brutal; how the happiness and the beauty give way to purgatory, the nightmare lurking just below. After it all, only emptiness remains.

12. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

loved this book when i was 15 and film is just as warm piney and melancholy

13. Mx Nihil's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

"To live, you must be drunk on something. Love, money, success, failure, even whiskey, but something."

14. Odile~'s rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

<< The loss of a lover is pain. Sharp and bitter to recall I've lost no casual lover. I have no pain from which to recover. I've lost me, that is all! My smile is void of laughter. My kiss has no caress. I'm faithful to my lover... My bitter-sweet tristesse... >>

15. Des Horne's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Felt like I had sunstroke after watching.

16. Magic Lantern Alison's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Utterly ridiculous, though the end redeems it a bit. Watch it for the fabulous scenery and great outfits!

17. Matthew Wicksteed's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Watched this despite the sub par reviews, hadn't read the novella (not my bag) but found it classy with a decent enough story line, old school glamour cast, costume & location. The dialogue isn't great but the script rang true for this era and I found it an enjoyable watch for the genre.

18. Imelda Says's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Beautifully restrained storytelling, father and daughter both monumentally in denial about their lifestyle and their Elektra Complex, and of course effortlessly chic dresses throughout.

19. taniaburrito's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

20. Faye's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Wonderful melodrama, if you like that sort of thing. In particular I like the idea of how easily, and irrevocably, many peoples happiness can be taken away in the misguided attempt to cure a perceived unhappiness. The colours are beautiful.

21. D A L's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Everyone's annoying in this film. Everyone.

22. Laura Hitchman's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Starts badly but develops a distinctive tone (which I imagine is more successfully conveyed in the space of the book). The beautiful setting, clothes and people lift it from a three to a four.

23. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Drrrraaaammaaaaa! Kerr's character reminds me of Carolina Herrera for some reason.

24. Francesca Holloway's rating of the film Bonjour tristesse

Deliciously stylish and atmospheric movie.