1. SiIencio's rating of the film Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids

It is less of a documentary and more of a Brinski's own vanity project. Typical Disney bubble to celebrate the accomplishments of a white woman saving a few tanned kids from an environment we haven't even started to understand. A claim to let the kids tell the story, but a rush to step in and do it for them. Roots of this poverty lay elsewhere. We can teach them all to fish but if there is only one fish in the sea...

2. lapalela's rating of the film Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids

very white-savory and sex worker shaming

3. El Biffo's rating of the film Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids

The title is a bit misleading, don't expect to see a lot of prostitution. If that's what you want, check out "Whore's Glory". This doc is more about kids trying their hand at photography, and growing up in an environment that offers very few choices for their future; these kids aren't even entitled to public school, as they are considered "children of criminals".

4. saptarshi's rating of the film Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids

I've heard controversial things about how exploitive zana briski was while filming this. The wikipedia entry is pretty revelatory. There are also some imdb threads that discuss the faux emancipatory content which are interesting.

5. juanitarrr's rating of the film Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids

This documentary thrilled me, then I read how the kids are doing nowadays and Avijit is even studying filmmaking at the U.S.! There is where you find out how powerful a film can be

6. monolith_inc.'s rating of the film Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids

yeah i agree with the first comment this was a very well done documentary and it deserved the Oscar

7. abrahamgbj's rating of the film Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids

Powerful and heartwrenching documentary