1. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

i guess it must be good and interesting for jazz/trumpet lover

2. eleventries's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

3. Alex Malex's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

Ethan Hawke saves the reputation of this movie. Otherwise I would give one star, but since he cut so deep into Chet's character, it would be a shame to do so. Very poor camera work, reminds me of an Instagram picture. But what really disappoints me is the lack of imagination of representing the life of such an interesting musician. I would better watch a documentary.

4. Kamran's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

Notable performances & striking content is underserved by a meandering, overly fictitious narrative set to dramatize a particular event. Leaves much to be desired, though what it offers is rather impressive. 69/100 - Decent (2.5)

5. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

I'm echoing the sentiment where I wanted to like this more. Everything about it was pretty great, but I was still not all in.

6. Justwibi's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

bold, and fascinating performance by Ethan Hawke!

7. Yumi Kaioh's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

do not fucking care: how can a man with no teeth try to talk like this?

8. OLIA SCARR's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

9. vordven's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

10. FCC 86's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

"There's a little white cat on the west coast, who's gonna eat you up"

11. etilen's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

You don't know what love is, until you've learned the meaning of the blues, until you've loved a love you've had to lose.

12. brick_bro's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

Very solid performance by the leads, and a really endearing look into an American jazz great, but especially rewarding in showing the struggle behind musicians and emotions during a drug-addled era.

13. Carl Penguin's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

14. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

Chet Baker, without a doubt, is my favorite jazz musician. I'm surprised: Hawke plays Baker and gives us a haunting performance. This is the best role of his career.

15. Charlotte Tillieux's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

3 stars for Ethan Hawke performing Chet Baker in all its difficulties. Scenes with performances are the best, especially the one that embraces My Funny Valentine. It's a shame the rest is not really memorable.

16. MarianneRenoir's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

I see Ethan Hawke, not Chet. Sorry.

17. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

Calling this a musician biopic is misleading because it's tragic power resides in it being a study of addiction and an investigation of that tricky notion if drugs really do unlock the potential in an artist or are just another wall of illusion.

18. lisa's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

i don't have much to say about this, i probably only enjoyed it because i love chet baker (not as a human ofc (gross)..... as like a musician or whatever)

19. Leif Erikson's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

Miles said to come back once I've lived a little. I've lived a little.

20. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

Once the film shakes off its clunky first act, Ethan Hawke and Carmen Ejogo get to delve deep into their characters and that’s where the jazz emerges and starts involving the audiences in the hues of blue that defined Baker.

21. Zac Weber's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

I really wanted to love this film, and while I wasn't overwhelmed, Ethan Hawke certainly gives a superb performance as Chet Baker. He nails the jazz legend's physical and emotional frailty. Some portions of the film feel flat despite the narrative and cinematic risks taken by director Robert Budreau, but the on-screen magic between Hawke and Carmen Ejogo overshadows those fleeting moments.

22. oldfilmsflicker's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

What amazing performances from Ethan Hawke and Carmen Ejogo!

23. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

By using spasmodic flashbacks, the film might not always be chronologically elucidating but evokes the times with honesty and sensitivity. (3.5 stars)

24. msmichel's rating of the film Born To Be Blue

Ethan Hawke gives what might be a career best performance as musician Chet Baker in this novel magnificent picture. Baker's tale of addiction, reinvention and musical innovation is well told here especially in his relationship with Jane played with gusto by Carmen Ejogo. Shot mostly in Sudbury, Ontario the period is well captured with strong character turns by a Canadian cast. Of note is Kedar Brown as Miles Davis.