1. bryanvmh's rating of the film The Wagoner

"Drive me to the cemetery!" "Can you pay?"

2. dionysus67's rating of the film The Wagoner

Austere film about Senegal's postcolonial fate told through the daily routine of a wagoner. The segregation between the shanty town and the middle-class French district is portrayed with assured political bite, coupled to the realism of deprivation of locals and the 'resourcefulness' of the wagoner. The harsh reality of poverty finds momentary refuge in the ancestral spirit in what is a cinema verité political cry.

3. Aardsy's rating of the film The Wagoner

A beautiful slice of life.

4. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Wagoner

5. εξώτερο διάστημα's rating of the film The Wagoner

I've seen few films as monist as Vigo's L'Atalante: everything+/body flows from the same substance, erasing ingrained dualities of still-animate, natural-mechanical, text-context; moreover, the scene in Père Jules's room, in similar classification-scorning vein, collected, like a Surrealist Object, disparate items defying any taxonomic sense: exotica, cats, live tatoos, fish spine, flea market trinkets. And I've seen

6. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Wagoner

7. mpho3's rating of the film The Wagoner

"Ousmane Sembene's early short film [Borom Sarret] encapsulates everything that is angry, witty, pellucid, and healthily, uncynically skeptical about his cinema." - Nick Davis, Nick's Flick Picks

8. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Wagoner

9. caitiello's rating of the film The Wagoner

This was a cool movie. I'm in no way knowledgable enough about the director, culture, or time period to evaluate it but I liked watching it.

10. El Biffo's rating of the film The Wagoner

11. PSFR's rating of the film The Wagoner

Sembène's style of filmmaking seems much more suited to this narrative than La Noire de... Feels as though the story could be ancient but the understated acting + camerawork (almost documentary like with the voiceover/dubbing) brought it into the modern world.

12. Coheed 2.5's rating of the film The Wagoner

Good to hear this is being restored by the World Cinema Foundation this year. Anyone who wants to see it though, find the 2 disc DVD set "Cinema 16: World Short Films".

13. Lorenzo Ciacciavicca's rating of the film The Wagoner

Please make it available!! Would be great to watch!