1. harringtonellie's rating of the film Boy

I truly adore this and it has made its way into the Taikathon that is my life currently. It will make your heart warm, and break your heart twice over in it's short duration time. I watched Taika Waititi's TedTalk where he explains that his creativity comes from ‘Looking at life through the lens of a child’ and 'Boy' just reiterates that. It's the coming of age film we all need to see and weep uncontrollably over.

2. Adam GR's rating of the film Boy

Charming terroir. A beautiful tale of brotherhood and childhood transcendence/mundanity. Taika Waititi has a unique voice.

3. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Boy

4. Ilona Buffet's rating of the film Boy

This is perfect and I cried a bit

5. Chris's rating of the film Boy

some really heavy subject matter but still managed to be lighthearted and feel-good, amazing end credits scene

6. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Boy

This is the first film by Taika Waititi that I've seen, but it won't be the last. I wouldn't see films like this without MUBI (it might be lost in the sea of Netflix) and although films about children growing up in difficult circumstances proliferate--I perhaps shouldn't have watched this right after "I'm Not Scared"--this is one worth watching. You'll need tissues for the ending, but you'll smile at the MJ homage.

7. Feng Ling's rating of the film Boy

can't end a film like this better than a "thriller" haka (and the little devilish goat just walking by). we all need fantasy to survive, but I suppose if there is a lesson it's that we have to be honest and ground ourselves from time to time.

8. Nolan Barth's rating of the film Boy

Taika Waititi is one of the freshest and most exciting new directors out there. I am a huge fan of his and will continue to follow his career with great interest. Boy (2010) is an absolute delight and I feel like out of all of Waititi's films this one has the most heart. If you haven't seen Boy (2010) I urge you to check it out and then go watch What We Do In The Shadows (2014) and his other films!

9. Dan's rating of the film Boy

Absolutely fabulous though my American girlfriend could only understand 80% so maybe needs subtitling.

10. runfromfire's rating of the film Boy

I friggin' love Taika Waititi. Māori Wes Anderson. And as the son of a two-bit con-artist I can relate all-too-well with the second half.

11. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Boy

Part Wes Anderson, part whimsy, all pure enjoyment. The humor is spot on constantly through this film. It never loses this ecstatic energy. It mixes themes spanning all forms of serious issues with tact. Nothing in the film is particularly unique or new on the subjects, though I would never ask it to be. The film is a great sign for where Waititi is going with his career.

12. Nick Potter's rating of the film Boy

So many people can't manage to find the balance between heart and quirk in coming-of-age stories like this, but Taika Waititi has never managed to let me down and I doubt he ever will.

13. roserine kenlew's rating of the film Boy

A coming of age story told as a coming-to-grips-with-reality story that charms, engages, and delights. Waititi touches on many complex cultural issues regarding race and poverty without lecturing or moralizing--instead, humor and child-like whimsy serve as humanizing and contextualizing foils in this dreamy comedy.

14. Sal Gal's rating of the film Boy

15. NicD's rating of the film Boy

Playful, fantastic, and a little sad--ultimately unsatisfying as either comedy or social commentary.

16. davrandom's rating of the film Boy

This made my fly far away for almost 90 minutes. Every bit of this film is well made and carefully shaped. Loved it. (more deep comments are already available)

17. Neil troost's rating of the film Boy

its meant to be cute. and it is. but deadbeat dads are fucking repulsive. and the cycle of poor families with piece of shit fathers who leave their kids rudderless just isnt that cute. which is nothing against the movie. its well done, in that, in the reaction it draws from me.

18. jenesuispasanglais@gmail.com's rating of the film Boy

Touching, thoughtfully composed, and cinematographically beautiful. Just enough balance between the limitless imagination of a child with the gritty reality of everyday life.

19. T Mills's rating of the film Boy

Pleasantly surprised with my first Waititi experience. I found this to be a charming tale of boyhood. Unfortunately I then looked him up to see that he's directing the next Thor movie... Will any new exciting filmmakers not let themselves be sucked into the Hollywood machine?

20. boughtabride's rating of the film Boy

i cried a lot. i love that it's so cultural and that's not lost. i love that this is clearly about a child but it's not just a children's story but it never loses the heart of a child? it's touching but never jaded? it's hilarious and heartbreaking and also heartwarming. i love it when i can watch something do so many things at once. also all the kids are adorable!

21. Richard's rating of the film Boy

This is the beauty that unfolds when Hollywood stays out of it. A wonderful, heartwarming and funny story with characters you will instantly fall in love with.

22. michael hentz's rating of the film Boy

I have never loved every character in a movie so quickly until I watched this movie. Everyone is amazing and filled with flaws that I couldn't help but cry maybe 3 times watching this movie because it hits that close to home. I feel I need to recommend this movie to everyone that needs to know where they are at in life.

23. dav yaginuma's rating of the film Boy

Loved this movie, highly recommend if you like the quirky independent comedy sort of thing.

24. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Boy

Can this guy make a bad movie?