1. Zac Weber's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

I'm tempted to nitpick at some of the movie's cliche "Hollywood" moments, but it's simply incredible to think this was John Singleton's debut. Boyz N The Hood is complicated, tragic, defiant, and ultimately a landmark in the history of American cinema.

2. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

In the vein of Spike Lee's "in your face" political statements, Boyz N the Hood falls flat despite some moments of greatness. Singleton's praise as a writer/director seems somewhat overblown. Nevertheless, this solid depiction of the life in the "hood" features a great turn by Fishburne, whose societal statements are still in tune with today's realities.

3. www.tinyurl.com/amethystos's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

4. Stephen Prokow's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

Is it racist that I want to sing In The Ghetto by Elvis Presley when I watch this movie?

5. rado's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

6. Luis Valenzuela's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

The subject matter its pretty complicated, but in general its extremely easy to fall on the wrong path of life when you are living on a society where human identity its based on possessions, social status and racial origins. Solid characters, good acting, great atmosphere and a lot of reflexive social commentaries worth listening. For a debut film this is totally impressive.

7. maddening cloud's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

it's no masterpiece, but 25 years on, it's still (unsurprisingly) relevant

8. David Liu's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

One of cinema's great directorial debuts. Singleton was only 23?

9. doublelife91's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

Sometimes I think I have a lot of problems, then I see films like this, and I am thankful again for what I have and what I am not.

10. Steve Pulaski's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

Shows the sincere side of growing up on the wrong side of town. Electrifying performances, Cuba at his best, and an explosive script.

11. mjgildea's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

I didn't love or hate Boyz N the Hood. It felt like overrated diet Spike Lee and came off more like a diluted episode of Yo MTV Raps than a platform for the few nuggets of wisdom Laurence Fishburne's character imparted. Ice Cube was fun and I'm sure this is Cuba Gooding Jr's only good performance. Fishburne was great and there wasn't enough Angela Bassett. There's never enough Angela Bassett...

12. MaqicMailMan's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

The only thing I admire in this movie is that it is based on a true story on the lives of people who live in an environment like this.

13. Llawrence's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

As a hood movie it is a masterpiece for me.It has a beautiful cinematography and a moving story.

14. Nosada's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

One of the best "hood" movies.

15. S. Singh's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

Brought me to tears. I think if a film can actually bring on a tangible emotion I think that is what true cinema is all about. Respect, Singleton.

16. McNulty's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

Even if you are not from South Central Los Angeles you can relate to the characters in this realistic movie. You don't gotta be from "tha hood". In fact the whole world is a GHETTO! Find the Special Edition DVD. I listened to John Singleton's Commentary. Very insightful, he breaks down all the shots he did, all the inspiration for the film. And he made this at only 22 years old! It is definitely a classic!

17. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Boyz n the Hood

A landmark of its genre, though it's pretty dated today. The acting is excellent all around - every performance was genuine and engrossing. The loose plot dragged in places, the story did not seem to be on par with the characters - but there are a number of genuinely intense moments. The overbearing music score ruined several scenes, quashing the drama with melodramatic sentimentality.

1 3 Next →