1. Mariana Vilhena's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

everything, everything twice

2. Nachtreich's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

3. calderon de la barca's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

4. mlstrx's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

uuh, yeah, this is the good stuff

5. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

Once I figured out how to watch the film it gave me a way towards watching his other films. There's just so much there that you can get overwhelmed, and it can seem like a crazy dream.

6. Khashayar Mohammadi's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

7. Andreea's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

What's a suicide attempt without a wedding?

8. msmichel's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

Amongst the best of Maddin's work ranking alongside 'Careful', 'Archangel' and 'My Winnipeg' for his most inspired. The usual tricks and themes; the silent film conventions, the macabre memories, the black as night humour, the strange sexual situations and breaking of social norms: in other words business as usual in the work of Guy Maddin. Designed as a live theatre event the recorded version works just fine.

9. John Trigonis's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

What a wondrously strange picture. Every second of it was like a hard jab into my mind, and after a while I became beautifully numb with total understanding...I think! Next up for me from the Maddin canon is The Saddest Music in the World.

10. Alex K's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

Wow. Just an amazing experience. I agree with the assessment of Rosselini's narration, however. Once I switched it over to Maddin's voice, I was entranced.

11. Jim W's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

Cry baby, cry. Stick a finger in your eye... And tell your mother: it wasn't I !GONG!

12. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

13. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

An absolute masterpiece. Easily my favorite Maddin film that I've seen so far (excited to see more!), easily one of the greatest movies ever made and easily one of my new favorite films of all time! Everything about it was perfection. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it was breathtaking beautiful and stylistically shocking, abrasive and inventive. Words cannot express my feelings at the end of the film. Just perfect

14. Austin's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

To overcome the past, think about the present, and attempt to plunge into the future.... easily a film of a genius level that, though dealing with the effects of time, will itself remain a timeless masterpiece.

15. Endless Eye's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

As much as Guy Maddin's work may at first seem trite, his pastiche seems to mostly work. Part of the charm here is the 13 year old mind trying to stumble towards something meaningful. "Brand Upon the Brain" is creepy and fun.

16. Christian Harding's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

If My Winnipeg is Maddin’s The Tree of Life (a slightly amplified look into his earlier years and an instance of using cinema as a means of recreating the past), then let this be his The Mirror, in that they’re both surrealistic and more inconspicuous examinations of how their childhoods may have left an impact on their later lives.

17. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

Daffy but assured riff on surrealist themes and devices with a strong visual and aural coherence. It's somewhat knowingly nutty but carries itself with style and aplomb.

18. bees can see ultraviolet light's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

19. Lee Bullitt's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

i didn't hate it, but wasn't particularly impressed by it. I' pleased that someone out there is dedicated to film, but, I felt like his narration choice was really, really bad. I also didn't think the editing was as crafty as criterion writers tried to make it seem in their review of this film. I think it definitely could have been better for something trying so hard to be authentic. I enjoyed the gay moments, though

20. n i g h t & f o g's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

A mind-f$%k orgasm of a film that manages to pay homage to silent Hollywood, vintage horror and Nancy Drew. To hear Daniel Handler's cries of "Romania, ROMANIA!" during the LA screening with live soundtrack/narration was a true delight.

21. Matt Barnhill's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

Thank God for Guy Maddin and his amazing imagination. There is not another movie out there you can compare this to other than Maddin's other films, and this one still stands alone. I thought that his narration was the best, and I liked Crispin Glover as well, but I always switch back to Maddin. The film is so strange and fascinating, it is great that some filmmakers are still creative and don't play it safe.

22. REH1101's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

Loved everything other than the narration, which I found so annoying I could barely stand it.

23. editkid's rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

Yeah, definitely a film I'll remember for its naive storytelling and great dreamlike b/w photography. An excellent fantasy film.

24. BRAND UPON THE BRAIN!'s rating of the film Brand Upon the Brain!

What's wrong with Rossellini's narration? I love her voice.