1. August Boulder's rating of the film Brief Encounter

A good Romantic film with Rachmaninoff's 2nd as soundtrack. For those seeking more Romantic film from this era I would also recommend Vincente Minnelli's Undercurrent, Powell & Pressburger's Red Shoes, Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past, and George Cukor's Holiday. :)

2. nyyssonen's rating of the film Brief Encounter

3. bitterMoo's rating of the film Brief Encounter

4. francisca bacon's rating of the film Brief Encounter

5. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Brief Encounter

6. agostinellips's rating of the film Brief Encounter

7. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Brief Encounter

Married couple drama's, when done right at least can be immensely existentially gripping drama's where the characters are chained by an almost unseen bondage emanating from society.

8. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Brief Encounter

3-4. It is, indeed, a very intimate gem. I would only maybe dock it points on the love interest not being as distinct, personality-wise, as the heroine, but I completely believe in the emotional atmosphere of it; especially the wonderful way it's blended with the flickering romantic vision of cinema illustrated by the train, its motion, and its steam. A very intimate 'Man vs self' story, overall.

9. Francisco's rating of the film Brief Encounter

10. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Brief Encounter

9.0/10, my review: https://wp.me/p1eXom-3ic "BRIEF ENCOUNTER has surmounted itself at the apogee of film romanticism ever since its genesis."

11. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Brief Encounter

One of the most devastating unfulfilled romance movies that has been made filled with strong moral themes and symbolism. Without a single kiss it have more emotion and love poured into it than any other romantic film made. Memory to a time when it was possible to meet a stranger, like him and not f**k him/her totally bonkers in a moment of passion. It is still more timeless than any romance movie I have ever seen.

12. Teona Gal's rating of the film Brief Encounter

13. Rafael Simões's rating of the film Brief Encounter

14. Chearth's rating of the film Brief Encounter

15. jewelsofglory's rating of the film Brief Encounter

A searing knife cuts down the middle of my heart. Devasating.

16. samuele90's rating of the film Brief Encounter

17. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Brief Encounter

I would say that this is the most beautiful and heartbreaking love story I have ever seen on the screen. It doesn't create emotion by being grandiose, manipulative or exploitative; rather, it's the craft and intimacy of Lean's direction, the depth and honesty of Coward's writing, and the purity and nuance of the leads' performances that give it a genuine power. The more I see it, the more real it becomes.

18. Lucia0550's rating of the film Brief Encounter

19. Faustgelopoulos's rating of the film Brief Encounter

Five stars? Well, for me that´s not enough

20. Tibulle85's rating of the film Brief Encounter

Avant les fresques (pompeuses) qu'on connaît, D. Lean a dc réalisé cette modeste gemme! Il y transcende, par une mise en scène inspirée, un mélodrame intimiste et a priori banal. Une gare devient le lieu possible de toutes les rencontres et de toutes les séparations, le témoin d'un morne quotidien comme du jaillissement de sentiments inconnus. Et la caméra de Lean, si droite, vacille quand l'héroïne songe à mourir...

21. Sara Guedj's rating of the film Brief Encounter

22. captainfez's rating of the film Brief Encounter

23. Ronja's rating of the film Brief Encounter

the opening sequence and the final scene in the train station is amazing, it gave me the chills! johnson's naturalistic performance is the gem of this movie. lean captures the banality and frail beauty of all affairs.

24. maret's rating of the film Brief Encounter

Un film incontournable. Des acteurs immenses, un scénario dont je ne me lasse pas, à chaque fois j'y crois (c'est un peu comme avec Dr Jivago), bref un pur chef-d'oeuvre à voir et à revoir.