1. CinePensieri's rating of the film Bright Future

2. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Bright Future

"The first rule of Red Jellyfish Club..." At its heart, this film is misanthropic. Nihilistic may be too extreme a term, but there are elements of that as well. The young 'droogs' in the latter part of the film are out of place, mostly because the Tyler Durden role in this film was actually another person. I'm not ashamed to admit that I rooted for the jellyfish more than for Nimura (who was silent at the end).

3. Feng Ling's rating of the film Bright Future

Despite the illogical characters ("how do u know it's poison if u never touched?" why would Nimura kill & Mamoru clairvoyant? "u said do your best so give me 10 million now" & such wire in prison...) and potato low-budget low-light scenes that hurt my eyes, I could faintly make out some outsourcing symbolism and unrooted despair that newer generations feel in a society of seemingly stalled progress.

4. muse_x's rating of the film Bright Future

What was that? Whatever that was. I want more of.

5. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Bright Future

(2.5) Interesting enough, but just barely. Had its moments. Meandered too much for my tastes however. Director was trying to say something, but struggled to lay that message out very clearly.

6. Nick Potter's rating of the film Bright Future

Wonderfully aimless alongside our protagonist with some deep human study underneath. The thing that really kept me from fully immersing is the camera work, which varies significantly between scenes and often looks fairly cheap.

7. A47's rating of the film Bright Future

Brilliant but baffling.

8. David R Williams's rating of the film Bright Future

Just couldn't get into this. I think the decision to use a low-fi cheap video look clashed with the artificiality of the story - needed the smooth sheen of high-tech. Characters all surface no substance. Possibly that was the point. I agree with Slant who wrote: "Kurosawa strains to find a parallel between Mamoru’s jellyfish and his characters’ disaffections". Too far a stretch for me to reach.

9. Gary's rating of the film Bright Future

You might need to be a product of Japanese culture, or at least enamored of it, to get this film. Otherwise, good luck understanding what anybody's motivation is or what exactly is up with these people. Then, there's the "suspense" music cues, which would fit better in a Teletubbies episode. All very steadfastly anticonventional, but it doesn't work.

10. David Richards's rating of the film Bright Future

One director named Kurosawa that I was not familiar with. I liked this film a lot. The feeling I got from watching Bright Future reminded me of the novels of Kobo Abe.

11. ionosonde's rating of the film Bright Future

i adored the color palette, the sound design, the cinematography (especially the final shot of the film, wow), and how strange the visuals and plot elements got. they were all great. however, the plot unfolded so strangely and spontaneously with so many unforeseeable events happening and so many loose threads left hanging that i was very confused. is this my fault, or the film's?

12. Jefferson Yahom's rating of the film Bright Future

I liked this a lot! There's a lot in here about sovereignty, utopianism and failure!

13. Christian's rating of the film Bright Future

So weird, like receiving a shipment of rocks, that it just riddled my cognitive faculties with heavy blank bullets until I was staring at the jellyfish as I was no longer in a film.

14. Aaaa_pril's rating of the film Bright Future

This bright future with noise.

15. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Bright Future

Having been a disaffected youth with no direction in life, I can say that it doesn't have anything to do with a particular generation. I'm 55 which means I'm a Baby Boomer. Even when you do find a direction in life it's always a compromise.

16. mlstrx's rating of the film Bright Future

beautiful title, great ending - 92 min version is probably better and more concise overall...

17. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Bright Future

18. filmcapsule's rating of the film Bright Future

Kurosawa's delightfully off-kilter sense of narrative momentum remains in Bright Future, but his disciplined mis-en-scene is missing. Experimenting with digital video replaces tightly composed static shots with an improvisational handheld feel. Kurosawa's metaphysical strangeness and sincere interest in human connection is always intriguing, but without his well-defined mis-en-scene Bright Future feels neutered.

19. Alex's rating of the film Bright Future

20. Ostermyers's rating of the film Bright Future

Kurosawa is still showing big cities diseases. Alienation, loneliness, dreams, no future...

21. raggiodisole's rating of the film Bright Future

Started brightly enough, had promise, and the enigma was intriguing. but then it kind of drifted...like Jellyfish and Japanese men, I guess...

22. Sthirabandhu's rating of the film Bright Future

23. Michael's rating of the film Bright Future

24. DominicB's rating of the film Bright Future

Spellbound from beginning to end. Pretty on the surface, but has a depth that put me off balance. Nice jelly fish too.