1. cam__reed's rating of the film Bright Nights

Being someone who is in the same situation as Luis, I found this deeply compelling and loyal to the fathers out there who have struggled to reconnect with their children; due to their past mistakes. In short, Bright Nights is an opening into another unheard world; the world of relationships that may be strong in biology - but lacking in the mentality to connect.

2. Tevo's rating of the film Bright Nights

Nothing happens in this movie. Quite literally. A father and son drive and walk and sometimes have half conversations which lead nowhere. No character has any depth and the movie goes from nowhere to nowhere.

3. zubee's rating of the film Bright Nights

The scenery is odd and often glacial, the two actors are similar -- an odd pair that touch at points but don't fully connect but they do. Beginning was painful, cut 24 minutes and start there.

4. captainfez's rating of the film Bright Nights

The father's a dick. The kid's a dick. For watching this, I'm a dick.

5. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Bright Nights

A tale of a father trying to reconnect with his son, this is undone by the work of writer-director Thomas Arslan. There's just nothing here that's engaging or interesting enough, and the film ends up feeling like a bit of a chore at times, despite the fairly brief runtime (just under 90 minutes).

6. Shane Ewen's rating of the film Bright Nights

It must take a particular level of father-son estrangement to mutually fail to appreciate the beauty of the mountains in Norway. But at least I did.

7. lucieanja's rating of the film Bright Nights

8. dionysus67's rating of the film Bright Nights

Sincere in intentions, but rather conventional in delivery. The gorgoeous landscapes bear no cinematic resonance and the pauses between the two main characters are functionally inert because reticence is not compensated by denotative meaning elsewhere in the frames. Finely acted, yet it leaves a lot to be desired.

9. Juan Javier's rating of the film Bright Nights

Quizás demasiado contenida, pero vale la pena.

10. easypz's rating of the film Bright Nights

(3.5) Minimalism/slow pace suit nature of father/son rel'p. Prolonged awkward silences in isolated setting make the strain visceral. We must scan for tiny variations & nuances. Overt emotion does increase, & late-stage contrast feels huge -- equivalent of jarring close-ups after exclusively wides. A moving climax & perfect ending. Still, getting there did at times feel like an extended demo of the Kuleshov effect!

11. Apiraj Laothongsana's rating of the film Bright Nights

12. Robert Carlsson's rating of the film Bright Nights

A film can not live on norweigan nature alone

13. David Perez's rating of the film Bright Nights

14. José Neves's rating of the film Bright Nights

PC/TV scren. Since the classical Greek pieces that we are mostly destined to family tragedies, with more or less accent on the tragicity - the western was one of the preferred décors for cinema to expose such dramaturgy. Here Harslan makes European "quality" cinema: fixed frames, grandiose nature, expository silences, a lesson more or less learned in the end. More boring and predictable formality is difficult.

15. Pedro Videira's rating of the film Bright Nights

Georg is just outstanding, and the landscape is brilliant

16. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Bright Nights

Belligerent buggers in stunning scenery.

17. Rex Freeman's rating of the film Bright Nights

Another Mubi fuck up. This time the final scenes of the film won't play, regardless of whether you stream or download it.

18. Roman2's rating of the film Bright Nights

Excellent. My Father was similar to this Father years after his divorce from my Mother but was not as conciliatory about his role in the relationship. And was trying to use me to get closer to my brother. Anyways I loved the Norwegian mountains and scenery and as always I love hearing German very much and French of course. I thought the tension between Father and son after years of estrangement to be interesting.

19. Hodek Van Mealstrom's rating of the film Bright Nights

20. jasmine2121's rating of the film Bright Nights

When the father's dad passes, he takes this as an opportunity to rekindle his relationship with his own son by going on a road/hiking trip. It was such an anti-climatic plot; tons of tension, but nothing's resolved in the end. Very emotional, I can see where both of them are coming from, however they still should've set their differences apart and enjoy their time together. I do think this movie could've been better.

21. Moh Azima's rating of the film Bright Nights

I can understand why other reviewers rate this film down. There’s not a lot here, outwardly. But I got something from the dynamic between father and son, maybe because of my own personal circumstances, and the resolution was convincing to me. It’s not a meaty film, but it was worth my time and I don’t always have the patience for slow films.

22. Vassilis Tsitsopoulos's rating of the film Bright Nights

Can MUBI slow down on the Teutonic products? Not all in a row in the same market. Space them out a bit. OK?

23. Richard Bolisay's rating of the film Bright Nights

Missed this at Berlinale last year, and sadly it's that: missable. It's minimal/minimalist to a fault. There's that nice long forward tracking shot from the car in the middle, amidst that beautiful fog, but other than that, nothing in this moves me. I wish it risked more, explored more, but I guess it's written in such a way that everything in the conflict is mostly contained. German sensibility, maybe?

24. buzzinfly's rating of the film Bright Nights

Such a beautiful, hypnotic film. Absolutely brilliant performances. Loved it.