1. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Brightness

A uniquely made vision from African filmmaker Souleymane Cisse. This film is full of symbolism and legend, and is an interesting portrayal of international filmmaking. A true sense of realism. Very cool because the story deals with magic and the mystical realm surrounding this particular culture. The filmmaking seems almost groundbreaking at times, clumsy at others, but never dull. It's a decidedly fascinating film.

2. Gryphonix's rating of the film Brightness

MUBI, if you're going to screen movies that contain scenes of intense animal cruelty, please mention that in your description in the future.

3. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Brightness

We need to see many more films like this here, films that have other ways of telling. The world is brimming with art and you feed us 10% women directors and 30-40% French male “auteurs” . . . Shame. Time is up.

4. Max.Madrid's rating of the film Brightness

5. ShawnD's rating of the film Brightness

There are undeniably powerful images in Brightness, but they aren't nearly enough to overcome bad acting and a paper thin plot stretched too far. This could have been a very good short. Another strength of the film is the look at a culture rarely seen on film in 1987 (I undoubtedly missed some cultural cues), but this isn't a documentary. That said, Brightness shows how much African cinema has grown in 30 years.

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Brightness

Yeah, no. Bird on fire not good.

7. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film Brightness

Black Panther is great and important but so American. This is a true African superhero movie: minimalist, earnest, with zero swag, but a lot of heart. And that's not all: it's also a great study of power dynamics, tribalism and sacrifice, as well as a heart-wrenching family story. And the bodies in nature: splendid.

8. zubee's rating of the film Brightness

9. Walker's rating of the film Brightness

10. Erik F.'s rating of the film Brightness

11. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Brightness

This is such a treasure, and I know I’m not the first to point this out but any time I do something horny and bad I’m going to start saying “my penis betrayed me.”

12. dionysus67's rating of the film Brightness

A seminal film from African Cinema, this luminous trajectory of mystical good and evil across African tribes neither idealizes nor condemns. Rather, its main virtues lie in the universality of the idea that natural forces reflect social classifications, epecially if the latter lie deep into Manichaeism. Safe conclusions for the Western eye cannot be secured, but this does not block the bright rays of this gem.

13. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Brightness

One of the stand out West African films, and the most original i’ve seen. A straightforward plot about a man who goes on a journey to find his father that has cursed him for no reason. There’s magic, ritual animal sacrifices, and it captures the African spirit. Always nice to discover something that is unlike anything else.

14. grotesc's rating of the film Brightness

15. kartina obskura's rating of the film Brightness

having watched recently "ballad of tara" and now "brightness" i think of fantasy on completely different level

16. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Brightness

An interesting, spiritual take on the hero myth!

17. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Brightness

I've never forgotten seeing this in a touring retrospective years ago. Would love to see more by the director.

18. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Brightness

19. Burak Ozyilmaz's rating of the film Brightness

Une observation avortée sur le mysticisme des rites initiatiques dans la société malienne. Cissé ne réussit pas son pari de la rêverie, malgré le choix de l'intemporalité dans le récit et une admirable séquence onirique en fin de film. Désillusion assurée dès les premières minutes...

20. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Brightness

I still think about this film after having scene 1 time about 2 years ago. Its has a beauty and honesty you don't normally see in films. Truly a great piece of cinema

21. Nancy Stark's rating of the film Brightness

Stunning shots, beautiful people, including the mother and her son and his still-faced wife. Great acting by the menacing father. I kept feeling harbingers of the slave trade in the curse on these people, and the little boy tromping off over the hill to face who knows what.

22. El Biffo's rating of the film Brightness

West African cinema! A world of magic so different than what we know now. Great actors, photography, sound. Just great.

23. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Brightness

At first glance, Yeelen might appear to be a simplistic film. Make no mistake though, it's a ravishing experience akin to an old epic that's been passed down orally through generations. Though the style is slow and simple, Cisse's visual quality carries the film. It's painterly with each composition, movement, cut well thought out to maximum effect. I had a hard time entering the film though. It lags in some areas.