1. grotescsetorg's rating of the film Brightness

2. kartina obskura's rating of the film Brightness

having watched recently "ballad of tara" and now "brightness" i think of fantasy on completely different level

3. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Brightness

An interesting, spiritual take on the hero myth!

4. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Brightness

I've never forgotten seeing this in a touring retrospective years ago. Would love to see more by the director.

5. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Brightness

6. Burak Ozyilmaz's rating of the film Brightness

Une observation avortée sur le mysticisme des rites initiatiques dans la société malienne. Cissé ne réussit pas son pari de la rêverie, malgré le choix de l'intemporalité dans le récit et une admirable séquence onirique en fin de film. Désillusion assurée dès les premières minutes...

7. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Brightness

I still think about this film after having scene 1 time about 2 years ago. Its has a beauty and honesty you don't normally see in films. Truly a great piece of cinema

8. Nancy Stark's rating of the film Brightness

Stunning shots, beautiful people, including the mother and her son and his still-faced wife. Great acting by the menacing father. I kept feeling harbingers of the slave trade in the curse on these people, and the little boy tromping off over the hill to face who knows what.

9. El Biffo's rating of the film Brightness

West African cinema! A world of magic so different than what we know now. Great actors, photography, sound. Just great.

10. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Brightness

At first glance, Yeelen might appear to be a simplistic film. Make no mistake though, it's a ravishing experience akin to an old epic that's been passed down orally through generations. Though the style is slow and simple, Cisse's visual quality carries the film. It's painterly with each composition, movement, cut well thought out to maximum effect. I had a hard time entering the film though. It lags in some areas.