1. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Wow, Carol Marsh is sooo radiant! Radioactive, really. A very unusual actor that she can find those very particular places in her heart and then project it. Her magic surely inspired the lighting, and not the other way round. Hermione Baddeley should have immediately been given a script for another movie where her character’s citizen sleuthing and campaigning for justice was the main plot. She has gravitas and humor!

2. mpho3's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Released as Young Scarface in the U.S. Baddeley's "brassy" vibrancy is the perfect foil for Attenborough's edgy intensity but the rest of Pinkie's reluctant gang are colorful too. Per Wikipedia, Marsh beat thousands for role of Rose, but she had a difficult time during the filming and later claimed to have never seen the film because she "couldn’t bear to." Sad footnote on an otherwise interesting film. 3.5 stars

3. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Strange how everyone calls this a film noir. It's visually too bright, and it's not cynical, pessimistic, or defeatist. This is just a black and white crime film, albeit it a fairly good one. The plot and supporting actors are quite competent. What really elevates this film is the stellar performance of Richard Attenborough as the sociopathic Pinkie Brown. This is one of those rare films with perfection on display.

4. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Pretty tight noir with a dynamite ending. Solid acting throughout with a truly despicable character at its very center. Lots of noir fun as well. I think this is a great entry into the genre from the world of British cinema. Nice work.

5. bjlederman1's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Great to see Hermoine Baddeley in a film.

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Near the end, the nun talks about "the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God." I think we all need a little of that strangeness. Dickie is quite good in this little thriller where he seems to be channeling Peter Lorre. He's a live wire bursting with nervous energy.

7. Dogville59's rating of the film Brighton Rock

A British noir that was fun in all the right places - a truly cold hearted bad guy and true joy and pleasure in a nosy woman who plays amateur detective with a big mouth and a self confessed inability not to ask lots of questions - real fun as noirs should be:

8. Oliuj's rating of the film Brighton Rock

9. Balthaz21's rating of the film Brighton Rock

10. Blue Roses's rating of the film Brighton Rock

11. SpacePirate's rating of the film Brighton Rock

I just love Graham Greene stories, so perhaps I am biased in my review. This is a great little British noir with a fine early performance by Attenborough. This is one Greene novel I havent read, but I heard the ending was changed. Still a good film, even with alterations to the source material.

12. Arcanus's rating of the film Brighton Rock

13. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Brighton Rock

A Freudian story with a 17 years old bad boy who kills his substitute father, his older pal Spicer and is chased by his substitute mother, artist/hooker Ida Arnold. It's a film noir without shadows, a flat movie. Recommended though because it's a rare pleasure to rediscover Brighton in the year 1947.

14. Kristian Ramsden's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Attenborough is particularl good as Brown.

15. Lightintodark's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Pinkie Brown: [on the record he made earlier] You wanted a recording of my voice, well here it is. What you want me to say is 'I love you'...

16. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Enjoyable slice of English film noir.

17. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Great finale with a dark humour.

18. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Brighton Rock

British noir with arresting and moody visuals and well drawn characters, namely a young and fierce Richard Attenborough.

19. Jason Callen's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Very good adaptation of a pretty damn good book. Attenborough's Pinkie Brown is as cold as movie villains come. I'd give it five stars but I thought it left unresolved a lot of the homosexual subtext that it built throughout the first 2/3 of the film

20. Roslyn's rating of the film Brighton Rock

I'd say that this is quintessential English noir - great stuff!

21. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Periodic strong segments and some good performances still don't bring this film as a whole above a mid-level production. Worth watching, but only occasionally riveting. Very interesting to see the young Richard Attenborough as the gangster Pinkie Brown. I think Johnny Depp might have modeled some of his performances at least partly on Pinkie Brown.

22. Samantha Kate's rating of the film Brighton Rock

I didn't like that the ending was changed, but otherwise a great adaptation with solid performances.

23. ecstatic truth's rating of the film Brighton Rock

Great ending. Attenborough is thrillingly creepy.