1. José Neves's rating of the film British Sounds

PC. "Tout Va Bien" would recover and expand the extraordinary initial hypnotic/deafening travelling at the car factory, one of this collective's great moments. The sound erupts stridently in and the political prophecy arises from off, which by conjugation with image leads to an iridescent duality: work is what is intertwined with a political doing called cinema.

2. Ghostman's rating of the film British Sounds

British Sounds is a revolutionary film, both in the cinematic and the political definition of the term 'revolutionary'. Made for British television and rejected, the documentary explores class conflicts in Britain and ways to take action. Directed by Jean-Luc Godard and Jean-Henri Roger, as well as 'Comrades of the Dziga Vertov Groupe', British Sounds is a film that radically aestheticizes radical politics; [cont.]

3. BRAND UPON THE BRAIN!'s rating of the film British Sounds

anyone else wish the whole film consisted of the lovely tracking shot at the car assembly line?

4. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film British Sounds

A great Marxist film text. Some parts are a little hard to get through, but I love the fist busting through teh flag, opening factory scene (just like the long take from "Weekend!") and the juxtaposition scene with the newscaster. It wavers a little, but it's never disinteresting. Worth a watch at less than an hour.

5. Jason's rating of the film British Sounds

While never precisely hectoring (it is too broken-down, muddy, diffuse, at odds with itself) BRITISH SOUNDS is nonetheless too declamatory at times. The final minutes are very weak indeed. Looking for new forms in fractured times, SOUNDS is profoundly successful in terms of its finding a form adequate to what it assays, though it seems to be advocating for a kind of militant cinema it doesn't actually represent.

6. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film British Sounds

Godard in agit-prop mode - surprisingly watchable and at times engaging: the opening production line section and the later discussion amongst the workers have a real poignancy to them. The question for me is whether JLG recognised the irony of his positions: feminist discourse against male gaze camerawork, or the superficiality of the students' clearly privileged radicalism - rhetorically shaky but provocative.

7. Superfrog's rating of the film British Sounds

Pretentious, lifted by its discussion of the place of women in gendered society and let down by the revolutionary bits of the second part. The nationalist / xenophobe but sounds like current affairs in UK.

8. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film British Sounds

How does revolutionary art break through the screen of the flat bourgeois spectacle (like a fist punching through the flag)? The camera captures in the central section, in black and white a static conventional ‘talking head’ image of a right wing ranter, surrounding this with a barrage of active words and images in vibrant color. We are thus outraged, bored, intrigued or otherwise engaged in the struggle.

9. Kwemo's rating of the film British Sounds

An interesting commentary that would feel out of date if not for the presentation rather than the content. The way audio overlaps, how images don't necessarily correlate (or maybe they do), and the humor keep it from becoming preachy if nothing else.

10. smndvdcl's rating of the film British Sounds

JLG's Dziga Vertov era pieces work like a political video essay that lacks the narrative nous of his New Wave era films. There are still many merits nonetheless. His analysis of Marxist thought within a British context intrigues in displaying 70s Leftist groupthink. However, it has dated in its reading of Communism in tandem with Socialism. I would argue that JLG was a better filmmaker than a documentarian.

11. G x's rating of the film British Sounds

Unfortunately, the sound editing is particularly bad in places, making it quite unwatchable. However, more egregious is the lack of minority voices featured. It all felt very dated to me, which is a shame because I share solidarity with a number of the issues raised.

12. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film British Sounds

It is what it is, really. A relic from an era where Maoist ideology gripped the bourgeoise boheme of London as much as it did in La France. Interesting use of the camera to tell a story; fine performances from the actors and a subliminal whisper to 'strike'. It does feel dated.

13. Tim Winter's rating of the film British Sounds

Best Godard I've managed to sit through but Bruce LaBruce's 'The Raspberry Reich' is more radical, and astute, politically. And there's no bloody bourgeois Beatles to contend with.

14. freezeimacop's rating of the film British Sounds

Makes use of a lot of what's good about A Film Like Any Other, only not as well. Doesn't feel as culturally/historically relevant as the earlier film.

15. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film British Sounds

I enjoyed this more than many other Jean-Luc Godard films I have watched, perhaps because of the British setting that I am more familiar with (in terms of the changes in society and politics). It's still horrible at times, but I found some elements to enjoy.

16. dvvca's rating of the film British Sounds

at times superficial and dragged-out with some nice imagery

17. 'king Harold's rating of the film British Sounds

Unions now more or less non existent the gig economy /people working longer hours for less. Workers in a car plant discussing socialism and communism in the same breath little did they know how f*****d we all came to be and how that language would be driven out of people’s mouths.

18. Shane Ewen's rating of the film British Sounds

As important in 2018 as it was in 1970, so I showed my 4-month old. He liked the sounds of the car manufacturing plant, so clearly has class consciousness already.

19. Richmond Hill's rating of the film British Sounds

Typical Godardian grit in the salad with the expected shards of dissonant provocation and agit prop, be they political or stylistic. One gets the gist in the first ten minutes - although the car assembly-line footage is rather mesmeric - with the remainder almost a parody of these things. However the wannabe student protestors are suitably sent-up.

20. John Tuohy's rating of the film British Sounds

I watched it to the end! Good stoner video.

21. Adam Whybray's rating of the film British Sounds

3.4 stars. Showing this to my students for a class on Marxism I found this far less interminable than I remembered it! It demands active engagement - in fact, I'd say it's only as useful as the debate surrounding it. Laudably, when watched alongside 'Breathless', it impresses how much Godard's gender politics had developed within a decade. Tracking shot of the auto factory vs. traffic jam in 'Weekend' ~dialectics.

22. Rafal Poplawski's rating of the film British Sounds

Movie about reality of capitalism and sadly, destiny of working class and its exploit. Surprisingly this movie was made in 1970, but could be made now ... concepts never change.

23. Christian Flemm's rating of the film British Sounds

With all of the posturing and didacticism, you'd think Godard might be a bit more self-aware of how silly something like the People's Poster Brigade appears, set against the opening tracking shot. Or maybe he is self-aware, and the irony is supposed to be realized; but alas I remain unconvinced, mostly due to a sequence that a person more generous than I would call a misfire of an attempt at a proto-feminist cinema.

24. Kevin's rating of the film British Sounds

If “A Film Like Any Other” bored, “British Sounds” does not. The movie feels more relevant today than then. Forced competition for capital drives the cost of living higher, breaking society down, daily exposed in mass killings, opiate and other drug epidemics, and a reduced level of education electing (by not voting) oppressors who cannot lead.