1. Marco Tassinari's rating of the film Brother

2. Žymantė Tra's rating of the film Brother

3. Aivaras_Z's rating of the film Brother

Despite all the discussion about the ideological undertones, this remains one of the classics from Russia. The strongest part is not even the characters, story, or the aesthetic - it is the overwhelming dirt and rotten morality of the early 90s Russia that takes the cake.

4. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film Brother

5. ninchok's rating of the film Brother

The Russian Pulp Fiction

6. Sophia Park's rating of the film Brother

This film would have been a lot harder to understand if I did not have a friend from Russia to help with the translation and context.

7. T Mills's rating of the film Brother

The whole movie succeeds on this enigmatic character. His sense of justice and fairness in the chaotic St. Petersburg is fascinating. The only weakness I felt for the film, and it's a big one, was the older brother's motivation for his actions. Otherwise, this is a great pulpy thriller. Curious about the second film and more works by Balabanov.

8. jenesuispasanglais@gmail.com's rating of the film Brother

Existential angst Russian style. With accompanying Eighties soundtrack. Compared to many similar Russian films, this possesses some good directing and forethought, but compared to other contemporary works, it falls short. It is fun if you know what to expect.

9. Janet Martell's rating of the film Brother

Fabulous film! I understand there's a Brat Dva? Can we get it on Mubi?

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Brother

MUBI, there you go again with your descriptions. I wouldn't call this 'sharply intelligent' by any means. In fact, it's the opposite. It's gritty and realistic, and filled with a lot of pointless violence.

11. Ben Loory's rating of the film Brother

And the moral of the story is Don't live in Russia in the 90s.

12. Basque's rating of the film Brother

I have a huge crush on Sergei

13. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Brother

Darkly-sour humor, best of it's kind!

14. DVC's rating of the film Brother

Buena película, que mete al espectador de lleno en la Rusia de los años 90, aunque la verdad es que la trama resulta un poco confusa. Extraordinaria interpretación de Serguéi Bodrov, dando vida a Danila, un personaje absolutamente primario. Buen plano final, que recuerda al de "Of Freaks and Men"

15. alvaro03's rating of the film Brother

16. Mark Pearson's rating of the film Brother

a gripping tale, manipulating our emotions so that we will sympathise with a cool killer in a stand against a cruel society

17. Eric Adkins's rating of the film Brother

Subtlety at its finest... Brother (Brat), little or big, the relationship is pure Russian, Mother included. I wish more American movies could layer like this. The film is subversive indeed... Only how to survive this base society, where what it takes to aspire to be good is a little aspirin, thought and to just keep moving... And not let your good intended guard down. Just try to remake this in America. Good Luck.

18. Andy's rating of the film Brother

Aleksei Balabanov's take on life in the slums of post Cold War Russia is at times bleak but always riveting. Sergey Bodrov Jr.'s performance echoes a young James Dean in his prime. The film gives us a look inside the grim Russian underworld but looks at it with a humane eye. Both director and the star have passed away since then, and it's a shame I've just found their work. Definitely watching more. Great film!

19. captainkiwi's rating of the film Brother

a great film thoroughly enjoyed it well passed with good russian grit

20. Alejandro Amores's rating of the film Brother

Danila is Russia and Russia is Danila. A delightful tale spiced with a rich subtext, told in slow-paced vignettes sequentially joined thanks to those fade to blacks the sadly departed Balabanov learned to use masterfully.

21. somnorici's rating of the film Brother

This is epic Russian movie which very vividly characterizes the mood of 1990-s in Russia. The must see movie for people who wants to learn something about Russia.

22. mpho3's rating of the film Brother

Danila: "What you are looking at? I saved good people too." The German: "God be your judge."

23. Justin Vicari's rating of the film Brother

The best and most honest film about post-Perestroika Russia, pretty much a "Wild West" where only the strongest and fittest survive. But because it's Russian, survival is nearly colder than death. Anyway, the very sweet, sexy, charismatic lead actor did not survive very long after this film. Literally. Give this one a chance, it's highly entertaining.

24. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Brother