1. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Brother Orchid

***1/2. There are very good things in this gangster movie. I like the idea of an American gangster believing he's got class and being swindled all over Europe, I like Clarence Fletcher's character, a Texan with a big heart, I like Humphrey Bogart's hypocrisy and I adore these monks who sell flowers as a living. The film is really surreal at times and it worked for me. Reserved to curious ones.

2. Mr. Gumby's rating of the film Brother Orchid

The good, the bad and the monk. A classic and short gangster movie from Warner can always be a delicious experience. Especially if you have Edward G. Robinson becoming a sort of gardener-farmer monk (eventually milking a cow and everything) and who finishes some phrases of dialogue with the famous "see?". There is also Humphrey Bogart in one of those secondary villain roles that were his only way to make a living...

3. Diderot's rating of the film Brother Orchid

A mostly dull film about Robinson as a would-be gangster who wants to get some class and learns eventually to embrace the simple life. There's not much plot to hang anything on, and none of the characters are particularly compelling.

4. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Brother Orchid

Entertaining, but not very logical, Robinson does good with the material and Bogart didn't have much to work with.