1. FISCHER's rating of the film Brother

Oeuvre d'une étonnante rigueur désespérante et fataliste... www.cinefiches.com

2. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film Brother

Come sempre Kitano riesce ad amalgamare le tendenze di gangsterismo dei suoi personaggi con la leggerezza degli eventi quotidiani, riuscendo a stemperare le tensioni con la sua passione per i paesaggi di mare e i momenti di gioco, sempre differenti e sempre immancabili. Il tempo per lasciarsi andare nei film di Takeshi c'è sempre e nemmeno lo spietato spirito degli Yakuza riesce ad opporsi a ciò.

3. Antonio Petre's rating of the film Brother

4. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Brother

5. Dominic Simard-Jean's rating of the film Brother

The basketball scene is one of the best scene in history of gangster movies.

6. Fabio Di Felice's rating of the film Brother

Un film grandioso e imperdibile. Kitano violento e poetico come sempre, una storia perfetta dai ritmi mai esasperati eppure sempre sempre incredibilmente potente. Bellissimo il rapporto con una cultura totalmente diversa e fantastica l'ascesa criminale di Kitano che, col suo solito personaggio di marmo, reso umano e "perdente" da un'interpretazione spettacolare, tira fuori il solito film meraviglioso.

7. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Brother

8. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Brother

Repetitive and 2-dimensional Hollywoodized-version of Kitano that thankfully retains its cool style and flippant dark-humor. Kitano and Epps have a great sense of camaraderie due to their actions, expressions, and reactions, not the dialogue itself. It's pretty shallow and detached at times, yet is a quite fun n' cheeky movie.

9. Onur Saka's rating of the film Brother

An over promising yet dramatically under delivering movie. The movie filled with two dimensional characters with no decent backgrounds and motivations. The script tries to build suspense through air of secrecy yet this ends up nowhere. Not really recommended unless you are a real fan of the genre or the director.

10. Sancar Seckiner's rating of the film Brother

Kitano means Japanese Cinema.

11. gucluaydogdu's rating of the film Brother

The Japanese storyline was not a good fitting for the American lifestyle imho. There had been more coppers even in westerns. It somehow distracted me... Won't be amongst my favorites but still worth a watch.

12. Sumner Coy's rating of the film Brother

takeshi's style seems really ill-suited to an american locale and its actors. this could've been a good film, but I felt like he spent too much time trying to understand the standard american crime film and ended up creating something that seems more than a little stilted and vacuous.

13. Junda Mane's rating of the film Brother

A supposed "thorn" in his vast library, I for one felt it brought his usual yakuza antics to the U.S. with a lot more success than people give it credit for. Though the ending may have felt a little stilted and untrue, the film as a whole is still rich with his pleasant, distilled scenes of characterization and his schizophrenic, hard-hitting act of violence. It's classic Kitano glossed over with a Hollywood sheen.

14. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film Brother

Un Kitano atipico, semplice semplice. Storia lineare in uno yakuza movie sull'amicizia virile, il rispetto (e per me anche un pò sulla paternità). Godibile e leggero (per chi non si fa traumatizzare da violenza, sangue e sparatorie)

15. slaepwerigne's rating of the film Brother

the transnational nature of this film makes it really bizarre. kitano's america, where police don't exist and nor do people outside of a narrative. it sort of feels like one of those flash clip generators where you input the dialogue. despite this resulting in a film that feels very dissasociated and artificial, however, it's all charming in a very hollow way. hisaishi's great score helps. a decent movie.

16. Dave's rating of the film Brother

Even with characters that are sometimes caricatures and some cliche street gang stuff, the charm that Kitano somehow infuses into these brutal stories ultimately won me over. It felt very much like Kitano's Japanese version of Ferrara's King of New York, except I enjoyed this one. Not a great film by any means, but Kitano's cold, detached direction and performance will draw in anyone who stays open to the film.

17. Christopher Edward Campbell's rating of the film Brother

Kitano's American crossover got a lot of negative to fair reviews when it came out but I feel that this is still one of his best films and definitely up there with Sonatine, Boiling Point and Violent Cop. Kitano and his usual band of cohorts Susumu Terajima, Ren Osugi, Ryo Ishibashi et al all put in good performances as usual and even the young Omar Epps does well here even with that ending.

18. meancreek's rating of the film Brother

Really disappointing. Incredibly boring and the premise isn't exactly capitivating. Expected better from Kitano.

19. Zach Closs's rating of the film Brother

It surprises me that Kitano was unhappy with this film -- It moves as fluidly and confidently as anything he's ever done. Even if it didn't, it's replete with the director's provocatively offbeat little moments, many of them worth the price of admission (the dice-in-cup bits, the basketball scene). "I know what 'fucking Jap' means, asshole!"

20. bleadof's rating of the film Brother

This is one of those films that even though it's somewhat raw when looking at some of cast performances it's still very captivating. I really felt compassion towards the heroes - especially towards Takeshi's character. Still I'm only giving it three stars, because somehow I felt that there were pacing issues with the plot. Some of the scenes felt unconnected. It's still definitely a movie worth seeing and revisiting.

21. IndyLIVE's rating of the film Brother

I was not expecting much from this movie, having seen how negative the reaction to it was, but I was honestly very impressed by it. I'd say it stands right up alongside Kitano's Sonatine and Fireworks. I was fascinated by the story, the style, and the characters and their relationships. I love how Kitano stands out from every violent gangster movie director by exploring the code and drive behind these men. Underrated

22. electricdragon80000v's rating of the film Brother

This film was grotesquely, laughably bad. What an embarrassment.

23. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Brother

The moral of this movie is confused to say the least, seemingly "anything is possible with the right strategy" one minute and "don't bite off more than you can chew or everything you love will be destroyed" the next. Lots of points for style and charm, plus the way the family builds itself up is really fun and interesting to watch.

24. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Brother

Interesting film about integrating and enculturation. Aniki Yamamoto tries to found a gang in Los Angeles. It grows, it grows, it absorbs and is finally destroyed. When Aniki's gang is adult enough to incorporate foreign elements like Denny, local gangs can't bear the idea of coexistence. If you read BROTHER with this magnifying glass, you will give it its full scale. Recommended.