1. Severus Snape's rating of the film Brute Force

2. Ethan's rating of the film Brute Force

This is a raw and gritty prison film that is action and suspense the whole way through. Burt Lancaster was one of the original badasses.

3. film_lies101's rating of the film Brute Force

Living in the world no different than a cell

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Brute Force

Chef-d'oeuvre du film noir américain qui révéla Burt Lancaster ! www.cinefiches.com

5. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Brute Force

Richard BROOKS's THEATER ... BEHIND BARS. === Le théatre de Richard BROOKS derrière les barreaux. === Interesting duo Hume CRONYN & Burt LANCASTER.

6. ZYNAB's rating of the film Brute Force

me during this whole movie: oh my G*d :(

7. John Matrix's rating of the film Brute Force

Fascinating for its sympathetic portrayal of "men on the inside" & simultaneous condemnation of their use of force to affect change. The climactic clash between prisoners & guards destroys both groups & melodramatically illustrates the futility of violence. It's a noir morality tale that contains more Lost Generation anguish than the hopeful striving of Brokaw's Greatest. Compelling despite its oversimplifying.

8. SpacePirate's rating of the film Brute Force

Dassin + Lancaster = cinematic lighting in a bottle. One of the best prison pictures

9. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Brute Force

Begs reading some Foucault as digestive to this great movie!

10. Marco Pierrard's rating of the film Brute Force

11. Caillouquiroule's rating of the film Brute Force

Bien écrit, bien interprété, bien photographié ; un bon film hollywoodien de l'époque, assez courageux dans sa vision du monde carcéral, débarrassé de la culpabilité des prisonniers pour les rendre plus humains que leurs gardiens, procédé classique mais efficace. L'accusation de manichéisme vient sans doute de là, même si je crois que les hommes pervers trouvent le pouvoir qui leur correspond : Munsey est réaliste.

12. caro's rating of the film Brute Force

amazing movie that brings us back into the past so perfectly. it also reminds us how prison has not changed during all these years which makes this film even more eternal.

13. christophel's rating of the film Brute Force

Des acteurs charismatiques et convaincants, quelques dialogues plutôt fins et une réalisation moderne et inspirée : le film a des arguments. Dommage qu'il soit si manichéen.

14. Olivier Serafinowicz's rating of the film Brute Force

Tous les ingrédients du genre sont là.

15. azoulay's rating of the film Brute Force

L'humain à l'état américain brut...brutal, mono directionnel, impeccable d'efficacité, des acteurs qui marquent les rôles de leur talent, un film de prison comme un western .

16. Braden Vallenères's rating of the film Brute Force

More like 4.5 stars, just shy of a perfect film. The equivalence of the American penal system to fascist regimes is just as pertinent today as it was in 1947. A truly anti-authoritarian film.

17. Nancy Stark's rating of the film Brute Force

Wow, Burt Lancaster….inmates as heroes, as if it were a war movie, that's how it played in 1947. So different from today. Impressive.

18. El Biffo's rating of the film Brute Force

"Nobody escapes...nobody ever really escapes..." This film is juicy, red meat for Burt Lancaster fans.

19. Alexandre Roy's rating of the film Brute Force

As far as prison movies go, this is a benchmark. "Brute Force" is an extremely gritty film, far from a Hollywood depiction or a feelgood movie. You can actually feel the tension building between the walls almost to the point of being uncomfortable. The black and white cinematography was also great and helped convey the darkness of the events depicted.

20. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film Brute Force

An intriguing prison drama elevated beyond mediocrity with noir nihilism and a excellent script. Lancaster is a wooden lead, but his fellow cast fill in superbly. Well worth a watch.

21. andy ape's rating of the film Brute Force

I love films based on prison life/escapes etc...and wasn't sure if I would like this one as it was made in 1947 but I did. Full of interesting characters, crisp editing and brilliant accompanying music.

22. Superfrog's rating of the film Brute Force

Good director, good characters, no nonsense. Don't misread my rating, this is a good film, it is just lacking intelectual depth in describing the reasons rather than the dynamics of violence in a closed community for it to be truly stunning.

23. TheGaijinRoaming's rating of the film Brute Force

Gritty, gripping and engaging prison drama. I felt like every character portrayed was broken to a degree - some more than others - but perhaps no more so than characters in our own lives...

24. Log Lady's rating of the film Brute Force

Gritty and grim, just how I like my noir. Not the most interesting Dassin, but even as average it's still good. Then again, the flashbacks weren't necessary, they were like from a different movie. There would have been other ways to make the characters more humane, but now the melodrama of the prisoners' backgrounds and the sick lady felt like compromises. The brutal uprising was executed well, though.