1. Leroy Martin's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

fitzcarraldo was one hell of a mess

2. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

Some dreams weigh heavier than others. Herzog’s were heavy indeed. Through questionable ethics and rigorous drive, he was able to achieve them; to, as he says, articulate them in the ways others can’t.

3. Federico Boswarlos's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

4. steeeeellaaaaa's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

5. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

One of the finest films about filmmaking!

6. Aardsy's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

Many people have given the blood of their heart.

7. Landen Celano's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

Did Herzog age twenty years while filming this movie? The signs of wear and duress on him is eerily similar to the child in Klimov's "Come and See".

8. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

Is Herzog a) simply bats-t insane or b) better at everything than you? I'll take c) All of the Above. Herzog's waxing poetic should give any aspiring artist pause and awe. Seeing what seems like otherworldly determination in spite of defeat, and the natural and cultural factors that would strike down a lesser man, is enough to make me want to also steal a camera and claim it was for the greater benefit of mankind.

9. Nathan Hopkins's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

It's about the making of Fitzcarraldo. But it isn't. It successfully manages to capture the essence of trying to achieve something grand, amidst the backdrop of dense jungle and with poignant messages on life outside the accepted bounds of human living. Herzog's dreamy, meandering speeches and commentary make this unforgettable.

10. Joana Graça's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

Nunca um título esteve tão certo. Um excelente documentário, sem dúvida.

11. traag-1's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

"We have to articulate ourselves otherwise we would be cows in a field."

12. Ginarley's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

I am so glad someone documented the madness that was the making of Fitzcarraldo - this was a story too rich to not get told. A well constructed and engaging documentary about the real world imitating the art it was trying to make as it made it.

13. antibody's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

14. Dominic Simard-Jean's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

On top of everything else, the only football in the camp has a hole in it.

15. muh.'s rating of the film Burden of Dreams

herzog is my spirit animal but in a less obsessive form. the documentary is an ahab-esque story about a man willing to go to impossible lengths in order to bring his dream to life in one of the most inhospitable areas of earth. the whole thing seems almost a fever dream with herzog's commentaries that dance on the lines of absurdity, surrealism and deadpan humour.

16. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

En "Mi enemigo íntimo", Herzog menciona que por un momento pensó reencarnar al protagonista de su película "Fitzcarraldo". En "Burden of dreams", sin embargo, no se menciona eso. Ahora, eso da que repensar sobre la naturaleza de la película sobre un titánico barco cruzando la selva. ¿Fue la biografía de Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald o la del mismo Werner Herzog, obstinado por fundar un hito? Él siempre fue Fitzcarraldo.

17. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Burden of Dreams

some great movies do require great sacrifice

18. El Biffo's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

19. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

7/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1vY

20. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

When I came back to Germany and I tried to hold all the investors together... they said to me, "Well, how can you continue? Can you - Uh, do you have the strength or the will or the enthusiasm or so?" And I said, "How can you ask this question? It is - If I abandon this project, I would be a man without dreams... and I don't want to live like that. I - I - I live my life or I end my life with this project."

21. emichan's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

22. Aflwydd's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

Herzog comes across as an Ahab-esque figure here. His monomania is admirable but terrifying. The same can be said for most artists, but the difference between most artists and film-makers is that film-makers drag a larger group of people down with them than any writer or painter could. At what point does ambition and drive become greed and selfishness? Herzog, more than most, straddles that line regularly.

23. Serdar's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

"Conquest of Useless" diaries of making Fitzcarraldo from Herzog's can be a complementary reading for this documentary.

24. jamiejames's rating of the film Burden of Dreams

When given the choice, I will always watch Burden Of Dreams rather than Fitzcarraldo.