1. lostlevel's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

I began to wonder if I had been falling asleep throughout the film and losing the various plot threads...turns out I wasn't but if the aim was to review history like a bizarre waking dream then it was successful.

2. Yvonx S's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

Stange, disjointed and thought prevolking. An intriguing film which flits from fact to fiction, playing with reality in a very cerebral way. I found it hard to understand, especially the way the brutal reality of the Thai military is so coded and subliminated in people's consciousness; this is perhaps the true but subtle force of the film; the way it hovers over reality like an impassive angel's wings.

3. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

An interesting film that is part documentary and part look at the dilution of the power and history by the devices we can use to maintain distance while we try to relate facts and feelings to many other people. It's not a completele satisfying experience, but it's worth your time. Once.

4. hemachandra's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

5. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

I loved this journey. I suppose by the time it gets dark it is dusk; and dusk is the period when both light and darkness co-exist uneasily. Dusk is also that point in the day that is notoriously tricksy, when it is hard to discern precisely what one is actually seeing. So, even though this is not the original title for the film, it seems very apt for a rigorous examination of the elusiveness of truth.

6. Anthony Picot's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

Bizarre and wonderful. I loved the fact that there is no storyline. I felt I wasn’t expected to understand something but was being presented with a series of slow paced unrelated bits of stories with which I could make what I liked. Nice imagery. Not sure I agree with the description of the film on mubi but then we all interpret things differently, don’t we?

7. Jordan Kaltz's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

wow!!! Such a singular feeling watching this film I think comparison to Weerasethakul is lazy

8. Wawan Kurn's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

9. Alex Lewis's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

Lots of Weerasethakul, but i'm absolutely down with that.

10. Kamran's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

More groundbreaking cinema from the drastically under recognized Thai female director Anocha Suwichakornpong. Proves herself a key figure of contemporary international cinema. 92/100 - Amazing.

11. Jason's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

BY THE TIME IT GETS DARK is almost like a new shape. It contains a great many ellipses but is not itself an ellipsis. Many works are said to evoke the kaleidoscope; this one actually does. I love how Suwichakornpong establishes parameters only to radically multiply the plane of the possible. She would appear to do so in order not only to discredit conventional practices, but for the purposes of forging new ones.

12. Jeff Heinzl's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

we will find out that he dies while watching his movie but it will happen such that she is there

13. G.'s rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

Wow, think I kinda love Thai film. What a brilliant closing sequence.

14. David R Williams's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

"A headspinning tour de force, beginning with the attack on students in 1976 and turning to the nature of film-making itself"...https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/18/by-the-time-it-gets-dark-film-review-dazzling-reflections-thai-history

15. Slappy McGee's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

Kind of beautiful. A visual and meditative feast. Starts off very paced and then takes a turn that makes it quite philosophically intriguing. This is not really in my wheelhouse of taste, but I can appreciate the talent that has crafted this film. Some will really enjoy this piece of Thai cinema... a lot.

16. ejonline's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

I would like to give the film an N/A rating, but since I can't do that I will go with three stars. Last night I was just talking to my students about bell hooks' discussion of epistemological humility and then I watched this movie. I felt like I was overhearing a heavily coded conversation for which I have no context or background knowledge about. This movie wasn't made for me, so I'm not in a position to rate it.

17. koolacct's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

a fine melt between film and reality & lovely photography throughout—the pace is truly reluctant, perhaps to saturate in the moment of scenes with characters that are ultimately impermanent. (that being said, a little slow pace for me but nice for people who enjoy immersion in the moment)

18. Dylan Brandsema's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

19. Sakinah's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

This film was a film I have never experienced before. The balance between reality & film was so seamless that it allowed me to become more emotionally invested into the story than I had expected. It never felt as if it was a story being told, I felt as if I was there. The beginning especially pulled me in, and then with every other following scene, I was basically in a wild trip within the eye of many other trips.

20. saltwater's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

Disappointing result. The beginning works well and offers promise, but the film eventually meanders into a bunch of dead-end narratives with non-essential characters.

21. noice's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

22. Sophie Wilson Wardman's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

I really loved part of the film and was very engaged for the first half, it's a shame it couldn't keep it up.

23. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark

This...this was just aggravating cinema. It's not just that it starts with an easy premise and then needlessly goes in a dozen different directions. It's not just the countless sequences of undefined characters doing boring activities. It's that it's so random and so dull, that you have little incentive or desire to engage the work and try to unravel it.

24. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film By the Time It Gets Dark