1. $ROBINROSA$'s rating of the film California Split

fast-paced, improvised, distinctive style.

2. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film California Split

I didn't find this especially funny or even entertaining simply because its depiction of emptiness and unfulfilled lives felt so painful. There is a sense of near-despair that pervades each scene and every character's bravado. Through the complex sound editing, Altman masterfully creates a sense of both distance and immersion, enabling a viewing experience that is detached yet by no means lacking in compassion.

3. LASHLEY's rating of the film California Split

4. DanB3000's rating of the film California Split

Nicely filmed, looks very 'real' somehow but the story is nothing special.

5. sizelando's rating of the film California Split

A lovely film, with an appealing ragged charm.

6. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film California Split

Another strange and wonderful film from Robert Altman, this sees George Segal and Elliott Gould forge a friendship through a shared love of the thrill of gambling, but can that thrill remain? And what will it cost to try keeping hold of it?

7. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film California Split

Seriously underrated. The script plays out like a conversation between two interesting and optimistic new friends. The darkness underlying it all is a constant. Enjoy.

8. Ulf's rating of the film California Split

Flows like a stream: narrows with tension, widens and calms, lingers in a bend and rushes on again.

9. James's rating of the film California Split

Disappointing after Nashville, Segal is miscast and Gould over compensates, loads of dreadful mugging ensues. The women are more natural, but they are just window dressing. Gambling in itself isn't a great thing to watch either.

10. Ramzi's rating of the film California Split

Well written, well acted small-scale 70s film....yeah baby

11. Steve G.'s rating of the film California Split

I think I could watch a million poker films and still have no fucking clue how to play it.

12. miles's rating of the film California Split

Paul T.Anderson has seen this a few times...

13. Balthaz21's rating of the film California Split

14. Anita G's rating of the film California Split

Great performances. And astute character studies. The portrayal of emptiness is so profound

15. anthony's rating of the film California Split

The nitty-gritty of a gambling life. Probably as true 40 years ago as today. The Highs and Lows. Film was hopefully for charming reasons dedicated to Barbara, who must of seen it all.

16. j's rating of the film California Split

"I look down I look down I look down... your flies are undone"

17. ammar's rating of the film California Split

18. Peregrine's rating of the film California Split

One of the most genuine and funny movies I've seen. It flows and feels real in every moment. These guys are in a tunnel together, probably on a road to ruin, but man are they having fun.. The compulsive behaviour of taking a chance, taking a risk, is present on every level. At times you admire it, at times you despise it.

19. Algitya's rating of the film California Split

...talkin' bout those flawless laugh..on the piccolo thingy,& the signature murmuring vibe.

20. Duncan Gray's rating of the film California Split

Emphasis on "California"—like Inherent Vice, this is best appreciated by those who know the Golden State, with its unconventional makeshift family units and its subcultures trying their damnedest to avoid having a 9-to-5 routine. Its dissection of gambling addiction is heartbreaking, with Elliot Gould the standout as a man capable of papering over his irresponsibility with pure charisma. The wheel keeps spinning.

21. Andrew Miller's rating of the film California Split

A film about provisional connection: when we're on, we're on. And afterwards... walk out of the frame, out of the movie.

22. Renton47's rating of the film California Split

Enormously entertaining thanks to its leads, though still secondary Cassavetes and let me exercise a blasphemous opinion: I think as an update 'Mississippi Grind' might do it better. Sure, this has the naturalistic charm, but that film is a better exploration of the patterns=meaning behaviour that this ultimately just grazes. Meaning a terrific character study, just thematically unfocused?

23. Ethan's rating of the film California Split

Since Criterion seems to be on an Altman kick I don't see why this gem hasn't made it to the list of releases. Gould and Segal make a great duo in this brilliant film from Altman's golden period.

24. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film California Split