1. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Calm at Sea

(3.5 stars) Yet another sad story set during WWII involving Nazis killing prisoners. It really only suffers from the fact that it offers nothing to the cinematic conversation of tons of movies just like this. It is well-made and fine performances are given, but just nothing enlightening to the subject itself. For me, I've just seen so many of these that I found it only mildly interesting due to the fine performances.

2. davidscottlewis's rating of the film Calm at Sea

Based on a true story, it's a factual take, in some ways, on Life is Beautiful.

3. msmichel's rating of the film Calm at Sea

A lesser effort from Schlondorff that seems too removed and unemotional considering the subject matter.

4. Corey's rating of the film Calm at Sea

Meh. Kinda boring. Very dogmatic. Also didn't understand why the prisoners didn't seem to care that they were being held prisoner.

5. David R Williams's rating of the film Calm at Sea

A powerful moving film...and yet...there's something missing. Its too glossy. Too mannered perhaps. All the characters just a bit too heroic and stalwart. A deeper look could have certainly been taken...at barely 90 minutes there was time.

6. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Calm at Sea

This could have been so much better. It's very emotionally-charged material, yet somehow the filmmaker made it dull and listless.

7. zi's rating of the film Calm at Sea

I had to force myself to watch the whole film. It's emotionally devastating in a way that is largely lost to us in the contemporary world. We don't face these dilemmas, these horrific, grossly disproportionate injustices. On both sides of the equation it's almost incomprehensible. I think of myself as able to handle much of what is put in front of me, & that I would choose rightly. Here, I'd have a psychotic break.

8. Christofer Aniel's rating of the film Calm at Sea

The film has great cinematography and an interesting narrative that does not convey that all French people are good and all German people are bad, during World War II. All characters are given human qualities, have their own motivations, and speak their mind which pulls this film forward. However, there weren’t any big twists or surprises that would have given it a satisfying ending.

9. 1001X's rating of the film Calm at Sea

10. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Calm at Sea

Shows the same characteristic attributes that made him known in the past, although without presenting anything really new, in this war movie with political and psychological substance. Review and Rating: http://alwayswatchgoodmovies.blogspot.com/2013/04/calm-at-sea-2011.html

11. Adrian Chan's rating of the film Calm at Sea

Good work from Volker Schloendorff ... The character playing Ernst Junker impresses me a lot. He played in "Der Untergang" too (Goebbels).

12. Rman's rating of the film Calm at Sea

Pretty boring ! It needs something more than shouting at strange shots ! I expected more than this from Volker Schlöndorff.

13. Spoiler's rating of the film Calm at Sea

Eis o retrato da ideologia de um jovem fuzilado e suas ultimas palavras que ecoam em cada frame. A representação da vida no campo, os prisioneiros, a rebeldia. A raiva contida. O abate. Um retrato duro. Teatral. Às vezes piegas, nessa releitura histórica que os franceses nunca visitaram com as devidas críticas.