1. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Camelot

The respected stage director Joshua Logan was not a natural moviemaker, to put it kindly. The performances in his films were always too broad (think "Picnic," excepting Kim Novak). You were aware of the proscenium. That said, sometimes his theatrical artistry did work. "Camelot" is hit or miss but the hits are bulls-eyes, especially with Vanessa Redgrave who is rapturous in this film.

2. mr se's rating of the film Camelot

Beautifully shot and orchestrated by Alfred Newman, this hopelessly dull musical is ruined by the fact that nobody in it can sing. Of all the notorious musical bombs of 1967-74, this is the worst.

3. robprince's rating of the film Camelot

I loved CAMELOT on stage, and I feel the film improved the libretto. I love what Logan did with the cast and look. He really recreated it for the screen rather than simply film the play the way Cukor did with MY FAIR LADY. Seeing the film in 70mm in stereo was a wonderful experience. The new blu-ray is stunning in sight and sound. Harris, Redgrave and Nero are heartbreaking.

4. Scout Tafoya's rating of the film Camelot

Josh Logan tries. Lord love him, he tries. He had a great feeling for aesthetics and there are some beautiful images here and there that come close to the magic he achieves in Picnic's slow dance, but the material is just wretched. If this had been a straight telling of the legend, I have every confidence Logan could have worked miracles. But with this shallow charade he's hamstrung at every turn.

5. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Camelot

No matter how much money was thrown at this film it rarely takes hold as anything other than beautiful hubris and nearly drowns a generally appealing libretto and score with needless opulence. Woefully miscast and distracted leads add to the jolly misery and it’s yet another clunking attempt to replicate Warner’s earlier My Fair Lady, itself no stranger to largesse served as whimsy. Oh Julie, where for art thou?

6. Renee Hirshfield's rating of the film Camelot

As much as I adore musicals as a genre, I have to say that certain scenes in the almost completely inert CAMELOT unfold as though they were shot for a ’70s shampoo commercial.