1. Adriana's rating of the film Cameraperson

very different good and bad stories mixed together in a really odd recipe

2. Jordan Kaltz's rating of the film Cameraperson

incredible! such a breadth of subject matter whilst still being incredibly personal and emotionally affecting. it felt far longer than it was but in a good way, a peregrination

3. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Cameraperson

Essential obtuse autobiographical filmmaking.

4. aconeyisland's rating of the film Cameraperson

“She sees everything but she’s blind like the philosopher who fell into the well while looking at the stars.” Derrida, saving Cameraperson from stumbling and falling in the street. [somewhere near the beginning].

5. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Cameraperson

El filme como memoria. Son retazos de los registros emocionales de la directora de fotografía, muchos de ellos expirando una humanidad dramática, trágica. Muy pocas de las secuencias de Johnson dejan indiferente. Desata además una serie de posturas universales como lo antibélico o la defensa por los derechos humanos. Más de un momento conmovedor, como la derrota de un boxeador, un parto o el quiebre tras cámara.

6. Elephants Gerald's rating of the film Cameraperson

There is a slowly-congealing emotional logic to these chaotic fragments. The premise could have played out like a home movie or demo reel -- and at the beginning, it feels like it may be going in that direction -- but as it ramps up and really moves, the title transforms from a plain descriptor to a statement on the inextricable bond between observing and being human.

7. thelastronaut's rating of the film Cameraperson

Recommended to anyone who has ever shot a movie. For that matter, what is the movie like for those who have never shot a movie? Since I have shot some, I felt this movie was like spending time with a comrade.

8. Tadzio Bonaparte's rating of the film Cameraperson

Inner value, rough feeling, less than technical.

9. Polyglot's rating of the film Cameraperson

Damn, Kristen is my new hero. ❤ :'p

10. hemachandra's rating of the film Cameraperson

this film is a wonderful collage-memoir of fragments of raw footage meant for the cutting room floor and reality

11. Greengage girl's rating of the film Cameraperson

After reading the reviews here, I find I largely agree with people who liked it a lot, and yet the criticisms that objected to the sometimes rocky transitions and occasional lack of context resonated as well. But, in the end, was moved by much of the humanity she revealed, both hers and that of others. Makes me want to see more of her work.

12. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Cameraperson

13. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film Cameraperson

I was ready to see a boring, indulgent collage of someone else's memories, but instead, I was surprised with an exciting, scarring, almost time-travelling experience (some scenes made me feel that I was right there and then... as if they were my memories). One of the most moving and strange things I've ever seen.

14. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Cameraperson

Interesting to see the range of responses to this film here. I went into it expecting at least to be consistently engaged by the shot-making, and I was not disappointed on that score. Interweaving her own family life into passages from a variety of territories marked by trauma--war, rape, displacement, a mother's suicide--was a dicey move, but Johnson makes it work. The uplift is slight, the sadness stark.

15. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Cameraperson

expected a poetic video essay, got a punch in the stomach

16. GoSpeedGo!'s rating of the film Cameraperson

One would expect these images, torn out of the body of their respective films, to suddenly lose their power. Here, the opposite is true. I loved the initial randomness that slowly revealed patterns and themes. This could have been a total disaster, but instead it's a total humanistic masterpiece.

17. Pavel Dumitrescu's rating of the film Cameraperson

18. Renton47's rating of the film Cameraperson

I guess a kind of response to the notion of the camera being objective, taking agency for the shots the filmmaker deemed unnecessary, which often coincide with moments of great human empathy behind the camera. A question posed of whether pointing the camera (or watching it) can be enough, and wisely unanswered. Less a memoir than exploration for meaning, of which I found plenty. Begs us to look, look, act.

19. smndvdcl's rating of the film Cameraperson

Every aspiring documentarian should see this; a snapshot collection of illuminating moments that may not have the pristine cinematographic grandeur of Fricke's 'Baraka' and 'Samsara' but more than compensates through KJ's authentic integration with a variety of cultures and contexts. If you are a traveller, why not turn that hobby into an account of the smorgasbord of humanity?

20. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Cameraperson

21. Yugosalvia Plath's rating of the film Cameraperson

22. ssolf's rating of the film Cameraperson

The last scene alone is so tremendously powerful. I loved every moment of this. I left the cinema feeling inspired.

23. Blue Roses's rating of the film Cameraperson

24. Jacob Bearchum's rating of the film Cameraperson

A beautiful moving memoir/documentary. A reminder that the personal/specific is universal, and that art is people and people are the why.