1. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Canyon Passage

A surprise treat for a Saturday afternoon: a Western I'd never heard of at the Metrograph introduced by a Sony Pictures Classic exec. It's a wonderful film by Tourneur—almost a masterpiece—rich with characters and political complexity as it looks at communities springing up in the West. Smarter, in a lot of ways, than Ford—or at least its optimism about the people who might conquer the land is more guarded.

2. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Canyon Passage

Beautifully shot, tightly directed. One of those classic films that run smoothly like a little, perfectly built and constructed, well-oiled machine. The cabin building sequence must have been the model for Weir's Witness, some 35 years later. (Ideology? The Indians? They should have been content with that basket full of apples...)

3. Vasco Bação's rating of the film Canyon Passage

Not as together or as poetic as Stars in my Crown, but the affectionate feeling for a functional, united community is already here, so is the attention to individual detail and character psychology (mostly male). The screenplay seems at times arbitrary, like an excuse to show breathtaking landscape and memorable scenes. Also, this is the most tasteful use of technicolor ever. An impressive, peculiar film.

4. Des Horne's rating of the film Canyon Passage

A reflection on American expansion and the irrepressible need to earn, to keep moving forward and to find purpose in life, in the form of a beautiful technicolor western.

5. JHB's rating of the film Canyon Passage

- Honey Bragg's a sort of friend of mine./ - You have strange friends, Jack./ - Well, I didn't say that I like him or that I trust him./ - What's your idea of a friend?/ - Any man, I suppose, who believes as I do that the human race is a horrible mistake.

6. José Neves's rating of the film Canyon Passage

Ah, the glorious technicolor of Natalie Kalmus!, its pictorial extravaganza that resizes any frame, any scene. The sky that threatens us, the vegetation that cuts us out, the river that rises, the look of the actors that it's expanded in its immanence. Although Tourneur is a magnificent filmmaker - see the sequences of the Indians attacks - the cinematography of this film is its most consummate effect.

7. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Canyon Passage

Underwhelming, given this is Tourneur. Never really breaks out from the hum of ideas, though Dana Andrews is a compulsive actor to watch in any role.

8. polkasan's rating of the film Canyon Passage

What a gem ! Beautiful technicolor western... A must see.

9. Jake Cole's rating of the film Canyon Passage

An elegant use of color, from naturalistic shots of the hero (only occasionally giving away their subjectivity) to the self-erected underground of a vile gambler and, later, the red tints used to heighten "red" skins. The Other is always a little more Other-some in Tourneur's films, though that also makes their disruptions of white myopia so much more effective and resonant.

10. Dave's rating of the film Canyon Passage

Not only could Tourneur direct noir and horror, he proved in Canyon Passage that he could make a truly great western. It's as good as almost any other western released in the 1940s.