1. ammar's rating of the film Cape Fear

2. bryanvmh's rating of the film Cape Fear

The synopsis on Mubi here does not correlate to the film's story (that Gregory Peck was a Witness who testified against Mitchum and was not tasked as his defender). Robert Mitchum is great at playing evil, and Herrman's score makes this movie surprisingly scary.

3. João R's rating of the film Cape Fear

A marvelous execution with effective sensory cues that allows the formulation of a dreadful ambiance. Inversely, the story brings little complexity, being the weakest section.

4. gld48's rating of the film Cape Fear

So good. How this passed the censors is beyond but it delivers in every way. Mitchum is terrifying and Peck is his usual granite self. Gorgeous black and white.

5. lbunuel's rating of the film Cape Fear

I wonder if the extreme moralism of a film such as this wouldn't somehow work the other way round. If we wouldn't, by sheer fascination, start cheering for Mitchum. Either way, masterful exploration of mood.

6. Stasya Korotkova's rating of the film Cape Fear

я чуть не сдохла от страха

7. Myles's rating of the film Cape Fear

8. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Cape Fear

7.6/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2Jz

9. Ethan's rating of the film Cape Fear

This is one of those rare instances where I prefer the remake to the original but this is still a good film. It is pretty cool to see Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck trade blows.

10. francine's rating of the film Cape Fear

Cannot believe I have just now only watched this. Thanks J.Can't image anyone playing it more raw and abusive than Mitchum. Peck as Sam, was right choice for antithesis of Cady. .I've never seen the remake, probably never should.That last scene in the backwater, I didn't breathe.Can't wait to let some time pass to rewatch. Yes. up there with the better Hitch films.

11. SpacePirate's rating of the film Cape Fear

A top psychological thriller. Great score, beautiful B&W, and Mithcum's violent animal magnetism all make this a keeper. Probably tied for the best Hitchcock film he didn't make with Diabolique and Witness for the Prosecution

12. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Cape Fear

Rbert Mitchum es voraz. Intimida, perturba, provoca impotencia y repugnancia. "Cape fear" es una anatomía del miedo. De cómo la paranoia aumenta más con la ausencia que con la presencia de un individuo. Peck se irá desquebrajando poco a poco. Usará todas sus cartas, y se rebajará al nivel de su antagónico. El cierre parece anunciar esto. Peck condena a Mitchum al sufrimiento. Ha heredado la estrategia del acosador.

13. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Cape Fear

I love this, though it makes me wonder if there's something inherently perverted in framing Max Cady with canted angles and the jazz.

14. ricovskij's rating of the film Cape Fear

15. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Cape Fear

Though the story is a little preposterous this Hitchcockian thriller has such a disturbing villain in Mitchum where he gives the same quiet omnipresent villainy that mesmerized in The Night of the Hunter. Equally disturbing is the violence which for the most is implied (which is due to censorship but works for the film).

16. tiagovitoria's rating of the film Cape Fear

Cape fear is at the level of Hitchcock's thrillers in the '40s. Maybe a little more raw and physical, but with the same psychological intensity. The photography work in low key (giving very deep contrasts) is outstanding.

17. Christian R.'s rating of the film Cape Fear

watching this on TCM, i learned Rod Steiger wanted Mitchums role. Mitchum played this role perfecty. IT WAS HIS. Oscar worthy infact alongside Peck who also gave a great performance the same year as "Mockingbird". Great movie that will make you shudder in fear!

18. Dave's rating of the film Cape Fear

Mitchum is spectacular here.

19. Partner in der Kriminalität's rating of the film Cape Fear

Absolutely amazing film. Mitchum gave the second greatest performance in a movie ever in my opinion (Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men is my all time favorite performance) Being filmed in black and whit added an all new creepiness to a performance than I'm used to. All and all top ten movies for me a definite must see.

20. Shelley's rating of the film Cape Fear

it's very interesting to compare this to Scorsese's take on "Cape Fear" because they are so very different, almost completely. I really liked this one because Mitchum is high on my "creeper" list and Peck is a great actor. the black and white adds another terrifying depth to this film. I found myself grasping at the covers at certain scenes and my heart paused a few times. this is a great film/classic/should be seen

21. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Cape Fear

If Harry Powell was not proof enough, Mitchum's Max Cady shows that the man knew how to terrify. Cady is more than just a sociopathic rapist, he's a feral beast rising from the muck of the swamp ready to attack. But he's also witty and urbane, and anything bu dumb. It is an electrifying performance, but Gregory Peck balances him out. Don't miss this sizzling slice of Southern Gothic, it drips with light and shadow.

22. Martin Wilson's rating of the film Cape Fear

Mitchum smearing the raw egg over Polly Bergen's chest is one of the most provocative moments in the history of film. As close as Hollywood has come to the money shot - and way back in 1962. As squirm inducing as young Martin Stephens kissing Deborah Kerr in THE INNOCENTS, the year before. Thompson really needs to be reassessed. For every one of his later mediocrities, there's a terrific film like this.

23. SALESK's rating of the film Cape Fear

24. Vlad's rating of the film Cape Fear

Top class noir, even Peck is good