1. Jason's rating of the film Carmen Jones

Basically a staggering masterpiece. All the more commendable because it walks a wildly precarious tight rope. Preminger was clearly aware that he was making something that could be laughed or even hooted at; instead of allowing that to chasten him into delivering an attenuated vision, he delivered something big and brash. The filmmaking is superlative, but above all this is about voices emerging from bodies.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Carmen Jones

Version américanisée de "Carmen" de Prosper Mérimée, avec un étonnant Preminger aux commandes, qui mérite largement le déplacement... www.cinefiches.com

3. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Carmen Jones

I'm telling you: I don't know if I've ever seen camera movement and overall cinematic staging used this powerfully.

4. aikeart's rating of the film Carmen Jones

5. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Carmen Jones

On paper, the concept sounds radically-intriguing for its time, but the execution is severely lacking. From the uninspired direction (Preminger resists any visual flair or camera movement and settles w/ a static camera and medium shots), adequate performances, & dubbed singing (that mostly doesn't convince) the film is a dud. The saving grace is Dandrige's performance as the femme fatale.

6. mpho3's rating of the film Carmen Jones

"This was really a fantasy, as was Porgy and Bess. The all-black world shown in these films doesn't exist, at least not in the United States. We used the musical-fantasy quality to convey something of the needs and aspirations of colored people," said Preminger. Yet they dubbed opera singers for Belafonte and Dandridge (who is amazing here). Bailey is fun, and Olga James impresses but CJ is a bird in a gilded cage.

7. Jessica McFarland's rating of the film Carmen Jones

I really wanted to love this. The cast was excellent, and the stand out number by Pearl Bailey showed what this film could have been. I really wish that the score could have been adapted to suit Dandridge and Belafonte's voices, instead of awkwardly dubbing trained opera singers over them. Casting was a big step in 54, but could be so much better if the actors were allowed to be black instead of just looking black.