1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

2. EdieEmm's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

The rhythm of it is familiar, hypnotic, like a Twilight Zone episode or a campfire story. Almost didn't matter what the details were; just being swept up with it was satisfying. Brilliant locations, with images and edits that reminded me of Clouzot's L'Enfer. Plus, a detailed statement on the fate of the woman who dares not conform to gendered social roles, if you want it. 3.25

3. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

"My dear, you can't live in isolation from the human race, you know." For a B movie this film packs in the references and harbingers: European art house stylings, particularly hints of Antonioni and even Bergman; an outsider narrative of 50s and 60s social realism and a macabre off kilter version of everyday small town settings that is now a commonplace. The roundelay dance of the souls is also a sight to behold.

4. armyofbirds's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

5. Fabiha's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

"The world is so different in the daylight. In the dark, your fantasies get so out of hand. But in the daylight everything falls back into place again."

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Sur le thème de "l'entre-deux-mondes", une oeuvre fort étrange, qui intrigue et fascine quelquefois, peut-être surestimée par certains, devenue un véritable film culte... www.cinefiches.com

7. mootz15's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

The only movie I ever found scary even though objectively speaking it is a B movie with a fairly hackneyed plot twist. And yet it gives me goosebumps every time.

8. Renton47's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

A death dance, in the throes of purgatorial disconnect. The draw being in the way its amateur qualities only enhance that disconnect, vaguely conveying any real sense of the living. Startling images of the ballroom, Hilligoss' unnerving presence. I've always wanted something that depicted death's shadow in the manner of Slint's Breadcrumb Trail.

9. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Hilligoss' normal psych is never congealed with her waking nightmare state, and the script even negates an emotional depth surrounding survivor guilt, at least, aside from the too clinical doctor scene. This makes its often copied twist more of a gimmick, and less of it naturally occurring from its character's shattered psychosis. Jacob's Ladder/The Sixth Sense and many other films would do this better.

10. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Uses its limitations to create unreal, liminal visuals that still startle and disturb today. I don't know that I like where the moral leant, and it's hard to get a bead on the films 'romance' but as a piece of proto-Lynchian cinema this is very effective.

11. chanandre's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

[Cinémathèque PT - 35 mm] (Esplanada). Obrigado frio. Melhor filme de fantasmas de sempre e sim conto Tourneur, Hitch, Dreyer, Lang, Mizoguchi, the works. A revelation on film.

12. wiwitaek's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

13. ZYNAB's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

14. Isabel Arantes's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

15. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

I found this to be extremely watchable for an old b movie, if not outright enjoyable. The black and white photography was really nice, as well as the editing. It's hard to find it really scary with some of the horror masterpieces that succeeded it in the last decades, yet it does well as a mystery movie. Good use of little money.

16. EYELASHMITE's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Classic case of asexual bratty woman in dire need of sex. "little gem"...hmmm maybe not. For me, the plot was a bit predictable. However, that might be becuase I've seen so many different variations of the plot created after this. SO I guess this wins a trail blazing badge. Cinematography was good. But if that's all that can carry a film it means it's dry. I suppose it's worth a watch though.

17. kartina obskura's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

18. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

An ambiguously framed political abstraction centered around a free-thinking, independently minded woman. The action entails the heroine gradually being ostracized by the people around her until she's only regarded by the dead. Plus it's chockfull of gorgeous shots, depicting the lead behind fenced doors, going down narrow one-way streets, etc. It's a Hell of a movie.

19. Nathan Goldman's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

some days i'm the aloof woman, other days i'm the creepy pale man

20. dave gunn's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

A perfect horror from a classic era. The eery organ score complements the atmospheric fear that resonates throughout this perfectly.

21. Velvet Kitsune's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

3.5 definitely a good movie to set some old school horror vibes.

22. Bernardo_Rodrigues's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

23. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Rewatched and re-loved. One of my favorite horror films. The cinematography is stunning. A masterpiece.

24. gld48's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

A masterpiece that I've put off from seeing for too long. Kind of Lynchian in some ways (the score, characters, mystery) Bring back the days when films had endings that were totally mysterious and explained nothing. Love it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5