1. Renton47's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

A death dance, in the throes of purgatorial disconnect. The draw being in the way its amateur qualities only enhance that disconnect, vaguely conveying any real sense of the living. Startling images of the ballroom, Hilligoss' unnerving presence. I've always wanted something that depicted death's shadow in the manner of Slint's Breadcrumb Trail.

2. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Hilligoss' normal psych is never congealed with her waking nightmare state, and the script even negates an emotional depth surrounding survivor guilt, at least, aside from the too clinical doctor scene. This makes its often copied twist more of a gimmick, and less of it naturally occurring from its character's shattered psychosis. Jacob's Ladder/The Sixth Sense and many other films would do this better.

3. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Uses its limitations to create unreal, liminal visuals that still startle and disturb today. I don't know that I like where the moral leant, and it's hard to get a bead on the films 'romance' but as a piece of proto-Lynchian cinema this is very effective.

4. chanandre's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

[Cinémathèque PT - 35 mm] (Esplanada). Obrigado frio. Melhor filme de fantasmas de sempre e sim conto Tourneur, Hitch, Dreyer, Lang, Mizoguchi, the works. A revelation on film.

5. wiwitaek's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

6. ZYNAB's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

7. Isabel Arantes's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

8. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

I found this to be extremely watchable for an old b movie, if not outright enjoyable. The black and white photography was really nice, as well as the editing. It's hard to find it really scary with some of the horror masterpieces that succeeded it in the last decades, yet it does well as a mystery movie. Good use of little money.

9. EYELASHMITE's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Classic case of asexual bratty woman in dire need of sex. "little gem"...hmmm maybe not. For me, the plot was a bit predictable. However, that might be becuase I've seen so many different variations of the plot created after this. SO I guess this wins a trail blazing badge. Cinematography was good. But if that's all that can carry a film it means it's dry. I suppose it's worth a watch though.

10. kartina obskura's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

11. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

An ambiguously framed political abstraction centered around a free-thinking, independently minded woman. The action entails the heroine gradually being ostracized by the people around her until she's only regarded by the dead. Plus it's chockfull of gorgeous shots, depicting the lead behind fenced doors, going down narrow one-way streets, etc. It's a Hell of a movie.

12. Nathan Goldman's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

some days i'm the aloof woman, other days i'm the creepy pale man

13. dave gunn's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

A perfect horror from a classic era. The eery organ score complements the atmospheric fear that resonates throughout this perfectly.

14. Velvet Kitsune's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

3.5 definitely a good movie to set some old school horror vibes.

15. Jim Fear's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

16. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Rewatched and re-loved. One of my favorite horror films. The cinematography is stunning. A masterpiece.

17. gld48's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

A masterpiece that I've put off from seeing for too long. Kind of Lynchian in some ways (the score, characters, mystery) Bring back the days when films had endings that were totally mysterious and explained nothing. Love it.

18. Magic Lantern Alison's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

A spooky ghost story. Looked like it was going to be a trashy B-movie but some excellent cinematography makes it more classy than that.

19. cony71's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Predictable, not scary, it did not work for me.

20. david's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Such a cult classic. This is an extremely haunting movie, one that achieves more with a ridiculous budget and a spare script than many others have had afterwards spending much more. I first saw it some 15 years ago, took a picture of Candace Hilligoss in the TV screen I was watching it on, then was unable to find out which movie it was. It has haunted me ever since. Now I finally find out.

21. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

hi yes I was not expecting a horror movie from before Rosemary's Baby to actually be spoopy af and I would like to know how you plan to give me restitution for my cases of Jump Brain and Night Skitters brought on by your film

22. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Carnival of Souls

Aside from being effectively creeped out, the editing patterns left me hallucinating, as it's composed in an endless flurry of jump cuts and match cuts, giving the impression the main actress is everywhere at the same time. It also reminded me a lot of Polanski's Repulsion, made 2 years later, Candace Hilligoss must have set the template for Deneuve's sense of displacement and the overall paranoid feel of the movie.

23. Ethan's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

This is one haunting motion picture. It just proves that even the cheapest of B movies can still have a lot of merit.

24. letters never sent's rating of the film Carnival of Souls

“I don’t belong in the world…that’s what it is. Something separates me from other people.”

← Previous 1 3 4 5