1. Henrique Barbosa Justini's rating of the film Casa de Lava

tudo é sólido, impenetrável. o mundo se abre em histórias e se fecha como enigma- as narrativas de outrem são inconciliáveis com as nossas. só temos um vislumbre do que é a vida em outra nação, em outra cultura

2. MELO TINTO's rating of the film Casa de Lava

3. João Vuvu's rating of the film Casa de Lava

Era mais justo nascer velho e morrer criança.

4. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Casa de Lava

Ballade existentielle. Partout les couleurs, la musique. La nuit. La pauvreté. Que cherche cette femme, accrochée aux flancs du volcan île ? Que cherchent les personnages d'Antonioni ? === Existential ballad. Colors, music everywhere, as if to redeem the extreme poverty. The night. What is this woman looking for, in the streets of the island, on the flanks of the volcano? What are Antonioni's characters looking for?

5. Jason's rating of the film Casa de Lava

Costa's debt to to Straub-Huillet is expressed in the form of a pictorially-established ontological materialism; human beings, payed lavish attention, have something like the status of things (though things flung into language). CASA DE LAVA, w/ its debt to I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, also centers around spirit, mystery, and the unnameable. There is something of the foggy logic of the weary traveler's undulant dreams.

6. Nachtreich's rating of the film Casa de Lava

7. Marisa Alves Pedro's rating of the film Casa de Lava

8. jonijtr's rating of the film Casa de Lava

i never felt an intimate relationship as weird as this one with myself

9. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Casa de Lava

10. Hélène Musc's rating of the film Casa de Lava

11. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Casa de Lava

12. MONSIEURDE's rating of the film Casa de Lava

13. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Casa de Lava

In land, clay, mud, gravel, rubble, stone. Costa's film is an earthly tale and a cinema personal discover. It acts as Cezanne's still life meeting Cape Verde universe. It is beautiful, it is powerful and it is a film to be seen over and over again. It fills the soul with belief - an emotional journey to cinema's most beautiful places.

14. Archimboldi2666's rating of the film Casa de Lava

Very wooden acting - unconvincing, unintelligible plot - but some beautiful imagery.

15. alhimself-'s rating of the film Casa de Lava

Some epic wide shots, some beautiful personal close ups. Inês Medeiros holds the lead beautifully and there is magic to be found here. I sometimes lost the thread but that didn't trouble me. The imagery is wonderful.

16. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film Casa de Lava

It is unclear what, if anything is happening in Cape Verde. Are the inhabitants people, or misprogrammed robots? Is there a storyline, and if so, where is it?

17. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Casa de Lava

There's both beauty and incoherence here. The beauty is at times extraordinary (some incredible human visages as well!). The lack of tangible narrative perhaps helps the film suggest important broader themes around the legacy of colonialism and the burden of the past both personally and societally - but that probably reveals more about me than the film. This is a striking and atmospheric open text of a film.

18. raggiodisole's rating of the film Casa de Lava

One of the things I love about Mubi is how it helps me to see the world. Not disappointed here, but the ugliness of the behaviour on display here was a disappointing contrast

19. Leigh Collins's rating of the film Casa de Lava

A strange, slightly unintelligible, slow-moving tale with stunning cinematography. I watched the whole film with the sense that I was constantly on the cusp of understanding what was going on, but never quite getting there. And then it suddenly ended. I like what one of the other reviewers said about it being its own genre. On that basis, it gets four stars. But is it a good film? I'm still not sure.

20. Real_Stephanie's rating of the film Casa de Lava

21. JOHN ATHERTON's rating of the film Casa de Lava

IS it about a clash of cultures. Some great scenes and scenery but confusing.

22. Benrhy's rating of the film Casa de Lava

Oh my word. What on earth? I mean, eh? What? Is it a 3 star, 5 star, 0 star film? How are you supposed to rate something that's in a genre all of its own? Is it even a movie? Gosh I'm confused. But but but but but. It is haunting me. Whatever it was has made me nervous. It has quickened my pulse. It has reminded me of sensations I can only recall from reading Heart of Darkness. Arrrrgggghhh. Love? Hate? ... Love!

23. Thom Novi's rating of the film Casa de Lava

I didn't find the story easy to follow, but I was enchanted by the characters and their strange sentiments and I loved everything about the cinematography.

24. Luke Corradine's rating of the film Casa de Lava

I feel mysteriously attracted by this film. Recently a dear friend of mine suggested I enjoy films with lush vistas more than others. That's not entirely so. What turns me on are timeless presentations of unique characters in extravagant locations. Casa de Lava presents gorgeous Ines de Medeiros and phenomenal Cristiano Andrades in a otherworldly set. Not without some glitches, CDL is a film like no other!