1. Marisa Alves Pedro's rating of the film Casa de Lava

2. jonijtr's rating of the film Casa de Lava

i never felt an intimate relationship as weird as this one with myself

3. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Casa de Lava

4. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film Casa de Lava

o melhor de um costa, surpreendeu

5. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Casa de Lava

6. MONSIEURDE's rating of the film Casa de Lava

7. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Casa de Lava

In land, clay, mud, gravel, rubble, stone. Costa's film is an earthly tale and a cinema personal discover. It acts as Cezanne's still life meeting Cape Verde universe. It is beautiful, it is powerful and it is a film to be seen over and over again. It fills the soul with belief - an emotional journey to cinema's most beautiful places.

8. Archimboldi2666's rating of the film Casa de Lava

Very wooden acting - unconvincing, unintelligible plot - but some beautiful imagery.

9. alhimself-'s rating of the film Casa de Lava

Some epic wide shots, some beautiful personal close ups. Inês Medeiros holds the lead beautifully and there is magic to be found here. I sometimes lost the thread but that didn't trouble me. The imagery is wonderful.

10. Henry12345's rating of the film Casa de Lava

weird one this. the characters just act so randomly and unintelligibly and nothing makes much sense

11. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film Casa de Lava

It is unclear what, if anything is happening in Cape Verde. Are the inhabitants people, or misprogrammed robots? Is there a storyline, and if so, where is it?

12. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Casa de Lava

There's both beauty and incoherence here. The beauty is at times extraordinary (some incredible human visages as well!). The lack of tangible narrative perhaps helps the film suggest important broader themes around the legacy of colonialism and the burden of the past both personally and societally - but that probably reveals more about me than the film. This is a striking and atmospheric open text of a film.

13. raggiodisole's rating of the film Casa de Lava

One of the things I love about Mubi is how it helps me to see the world. Not disappointed here, but the ugliness of the behaviour on display here was a disappointing contrast

14. Leigh Collins's rating of the film Casa de Lava

A strange, slightly unintelligible, slow-moving tale with stunning cinematography. I watched the whole film with the sense that I was constantly on the cusp of understanding what was going on, but never quite getting there. And then it suddenly ended. I like what one of the other reviewers said about it being its own genre. On that basis, it gets four stars. But is it a good film? I'm still not sure.

15. Real_Stephanie's rating of the film Casa de Lava

16. JOHN ATHERTON's rating of the film Casa de Lava

IS it about a clash of cultures. Some great scenes and scenery but confusing.

17. Benrhy's rating of the film Casa de Lava

Oh my word. What on earth? I mean, eh? What? Is it a 3 star, 5 star, 0 star film? How are you supposed to rate something that's in a genre all of its own? Is it even a movie? Gosh I'm confused. But but but but but. It is haunting me. Whatever it was has made me nervous. It has quickened my pulse. It has reminded me of sensations I can only recall from reading Heart of Darkness. Arrrrgggghhh. Love? Hate? ... Love!

18. Thom Novi's rating of the film Casa de Lava

I didn't find the story easy to follow, but I was enchanted by the characters and their strange sentiments and I loved everything about the cinematography.

19. Luke Corradine's rating of the film Casa de Lava

I feel mysteriously attracted by this film. Recently a dear friend of mine suggested I enjoy films with lush vistas more than others. That's not entirely so. What turns me on are timeless presentations of unique characters in extravagant locations. Casa de Lava presents gorgeous Ines de Medeiros and phenomenal Cristiano Andrades in a otherworldly set. Not without some glitches, CDL is a film like no other!

20. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Casa de Lava

The plot (was there a plot?) was confusing and jumpy. The characters and their spoken lines were unconvincing. And a very poor portrayal of coma and outcome, completely unrealistic. The scenery was great though, I knew nothing about Cape Verde (still know very little), it was just about worth watching the movie for the backdrops. And some impressive eyebrows.

21. baba lola's rating of the film Casa de Lava

I was happy to be a spectator.

22. SiIencio's rating of the film Casa de Lava

Save the natural beauty of the landscape, the mysterious atmosphere of the night, the humbleness of the cobbled streets and throw away this loose plot, often unintelligible, that ends in no-man's land helped by an amateurish editing and a concept too focused on an ethereal personal vision rather than a dialogue with the viewer.

23. Yumi Kaioh's rating of the film Casa de Lava

- pediste-me tanta coisa! - não quero saber, estava cansada...

24. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film Casa de Lava

The shaky beginnings of Costa's bold and revelatory journey as one of Europe's greatest political filmmakers.