1. DSPRKY's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

I won't deny that parts of this are enthralling, but it is on the whole a chore to watch. It's not the running time (although it is unquestionably too long), but rather the incessant whimsy, which would be annoying even when used pointedly (as in Daisies, a film Rivette must have been inspired by, and which I disliked for precisely the same reason), and is doubly annoying when used for such an unfocused purpose.

2. Freddie's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

Quite simply, pure magic captured on film.

3. alphonse's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

The sheer inventiveness and originality of Céline and Julie Go Boating is just astonishing - Jacques Rivette created a truly unique film that transcends narrative and reinvents (in Nouvelle Vague fashion) the act of making a film, which should be rule-free and born out of pure spontaneity and need to use a camera to tell something, and the way the French master does it is stunningly surrealistic and completely new.

4. peaches and plums's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

5. AALC's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

It was very magical. Even in reality - 3 hours passed as quickly as 3 minutes. And I wouldn't mind to see another cycle...

6. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

7. Histioteuthis's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

I don't have words for how much I love this movie, Rivette's like "fantasies" are just that because you feel like you're wandering through a world of magic and mirrors and haunted houses in the best way. Shades of influences like any Cahiers boy but the movie lives up to them and they never feel like just "references" rather than invocations I guess

8. alimcintyre's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

Strange, surreal and improbable ... but I loved this charming movie with its shades of Lewis Carroll. This is my second Rivette film after watching Out 1 and preferred this slightly. Two endearing performances by Juliet Berto and Dominique Labourier made this for me. Probably my favourite French movie.

9. Aksel Jensen's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

The definition of artsyfartsy.

10. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

I'd have called it Céline and Julie Go Roller-Skating. Minor quibble.

11. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

Yes, the girls are annoying, but the plot is great!

12. Vasco Bação's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

The joy of filmmaking. What a sunny, surreal, labyrinthic delight. Absolute masterpiece.

13. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

14. Omnibus1's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

Colour, fun, Paris, getting lost, getting found, feeling disorientated and anxious (surely David Lynch picked up some ideas here) and cats. À bientôt Jacques Rivette.

15. Peter Barlow's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

I've never seen another film quite like Celine and Julie Go Boating. It's the story of two inextricably linked young women who slowly get sucked into a parallel reality. It has an alluring hypnotic effect, and can be outright perplexing, but once it is over reveals itself to have been constructed in perfect symmetry. Definitely one to revisit.

16. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

I was happy to find that the film lived up to its brilliant title.

17. apollonouta's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

i will forever and ever be in love with this film

18. Videograms's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

Oh! This is the funnest movie!

19. Otavio Magnani's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

This is a weird movie, but a very enjoyable one. The story is somewhat complex, but it all makes some sense in the end. It is surrealistic, very funny, and one can't help but fall in love with both the characters. I truly wish people like that existed in real life. This was my first Rivette, and now I am certainly tempted to watch more of his works. Also, it makes reference to Les Vampires, so there's is that.

20. SoulBrotherNo1's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

One of my favourite films of all time. Entertaining through 3 hours, unpredictable, endlessly playful, with two adorable main characters. Truly one of the most unique, and likeable films I have ever seen.

21. Eugene Kotlyarenko's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

madness from beginning to end and love all the shit in between. another film with a structural approach to narrative; fully understanding the power of repetition and differentiation upon the mind of the engaged viewer. also just feels cool

22. Stevie's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

I badly wanted to hang out with Celine and Julie. This is classic Rivette and therefore, classic cinema. A masterpiece from a truly under appreciated auteur.

23. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

Down the Rabbit Hole we go... Jacques Rivette created one of the finest interpretations of Lewis Carrol's most influential work!

24. sewslow's rating of the film Céline and Julie Go Boating

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/rivette/OK/subversivefantasy.html Fantastic reading. The same site has some critique of earlier films as well.