1. elisa2046's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

This is great cinema. I totally agree with the speech about the distinction between commercial and artistic.

2. msmichel's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

3. Cinema Obscura's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

4. Linao Momentaries's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

R.I.P. Dante Perez http://mubi.com/topics/rip-dante-perez-visual-artist-art-director-actor-philippines

5. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

This is my second Lav Diaz film, after Butterflies Have No Memories, and it is highly recommended viewing. A fascinating experience.

6. © <',))( Astro-Tofupraxographer's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

The film's most indelible image isn't even from this film or in HD, it's from the film within the film, "Babae ng Hangin", in which a young girl stands in the middle of a river watching carabao pulling carts crossing the river. It's my favourite image from all of Lav's films.

7. - -'s rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

I just finished all 6 hours of this film and still don't know quite what to make of it. I really liked it at first, then I got bored, zoned out, started really disliking it and then started liking it again at the 4 hour mark. The film is all over the place but in these 6 hours were sudden moments that brought me away from my constant zoning out, and in those moments I felt a new shape for digital cinema coming thru.

8. apexa's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

I always find it amusing when I read quotes saying that current cinema is dead and stale. It's pretty obvious they haven't seen a Lav Diaz film it seems.

9. Scott Barley's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

One of the most impressive films about cinema that I have seen. Some of the images here are so beautiful and personal, combined with the luxury of time, yet there is nothing self-indulgent about them. Possibly my favourite image from the film is a child standing in a river, completely still. Time passes, we watch the clouds pass over the sky, the wind blow, as many people walk past from beyond the horizon.

10. Issey Miyaki's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

"Cinema is being" . Probably the best cinematic experience that i've had this year

11. Nadin's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

Homer's philosophy on the state of cinema is cannot come at a better time. I met Lav in Newcastle and he embodies everything we see in the film. This film was a true inspiration for my work and if there is one thing I will always remember from it, then it is Homer's striking point: "Cinema is being." It is indeed!

12. adrianmendizabal's rating of the film Century of Birthing - Part One

In a period of 6 hours, Lav Diaz gives us an unrelenting epic view of cinema from its conception to its birth. To give birth to a new cinema, one has to break old traditions, "the cult" which has deluded the minds of its followers with "closed view" of the world. One has to "rape" these monolithic traditions and impregnate it with THE TRUTH and REALITY about the world in order for a new cinema to begin.