1. MisterColo93's rating of the film Century of Birthing

2. HBannner's rating of the film Century of Birthing

3. Jason's rating of the film Century of Birthing

This would clearly be the most self-reflexive of the Lav Diaz movie-behemoths to which I have turned myself over. It is also, more potently, the one that feels the most like an address to the infinite. There is something empowering about there being a guy out there who goes out and engineers these things. CENTURY could also be a sublime companion to Jandek's READY FOR THE HOUSE.

4. Timmy93's rating of the film Century of Birthing

Fragmented and a bit obscure compared to other Lav's films. It works. The cult song is stuck in my head now.

5. ysbil's rating of the film Century of Birthing

Lav Diaz is really a maestro, it's hard to describe in a few words. Love particularly a scene in the film, in which a character declaim in monologue the eternal artist's philosophical and aesthetic struggle. The character is probably an alter ego of Lav Diaz, but what is impressive is the mundane, casual, everyday life setting, allowing the intimately spiritual to meet with the physical and intersubjective reality.

6. David Grillo's rating of the film Century of Birthing

A mediation between plains of existence that run across Diaz's work Art on the terms of being. Radically posing the ? between being and the conception of being a sort of panpsychism of creativity and Heidegger's metaphysics that foregrounds art. Subject ?'s artist The world was created by artist cause the world was created. Cinema is being/I'm being cinema. Subject prays to god/artist to be revealed from concealment

7. Ludovic72's rating of the film Century of Birthing

Qu'est-ce que le cinéma ? Son but serait-il de "se souvenir du monde" ? Rend-il compte de certaines vérités ? Lav Diaz se le demande à travers un alter-ego "à la recherche du pur cinéma", qui n'arrive pas à terminer son film (portant sur la foi religieuse, le corps, la culpabilité, la rédemption). Ce parcours de "foi cinématographique" fait écho à un récit parallèle sur un culte fondamentaliste. De l'art exigeant...

8. captainfez's rating of the film Century of Birthing

9. Ioana Hogman's rating of the film Century of Birthing

What fascinates me about Diaz is having such understanding for the human species and choosing to express it this way.

10. Dr.Cinemaniac's rating of the film Century of Birthing

Like other Lav Diaz Films this one also deals with Multiple Themes. In This Film he mainly deals with Cinema and Artistic Struggle. Tough watch but its worth it. Watch this one only if you can dedicate your full attention to a Film.

11. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Century of Birthing

A Lav Diaz film that I actually ENJOYED! Diaz can STILL USE A GOOD EDITOR but at least in THIS film, his narrative is strong enough to outlast the SIX-HOUR running time. There's some cool meta stuff happening in one of the stories. And the cult-busting story is intriguing. Some cool interweaving of themes at play as well. I feel like out of ALL of Diaz's work I've seen, this is his most mature and most accessible.

12. FISCHER's rating of the film Century of Birthing

D'une farouche complexité dans la linéarité des intrigues qui se croisent et se juxtaposent, imposant un enchevêtrement scénaristique avec discours sur le cinéma, répétition d'actrice et dualité dans le récit provoqué par le sophistique ordonnancement d'un film dans le film, la réalisation souffre, par endosmose, de fragilité et d'inconstance dans l'habituelle vitalité de la mise en scène. www.cinefiches.com

13. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Century of Birthing

What is good here, and some moments are, is completely ruined by the fact that Lav Diaz once again feels the urge to test your endurance, this time for a whole six hours. Yes, nothing much happens. For six hours. Six. Fucking. Hours.

14. Test's rating of the film Century of Birthing

15. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Century of Birthing

A very challenging film with some references to other works of Laz Diaz - not easy to watch, but I enjoyed it. Because two of its central themes are the nature of cinema and the art of film itself (associated with a crisis and the question if the cinema even is able to show a kind of truth) it's much more fragmentary than other of Diaz’ films I've seen. But in the end for me everything fits together.

16. afuchs's rating of the film Century of Birthing

Stripped bare of anything that might not be necessary to experience the cinematic reality. Thereby prolonged.

17. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film Century of Birthing

3.5 - Beside the problem I have with Diaz - how unnaturally he dropped intellectual and discourses, CoB lacks the thing i like the most in his previous films: the ultimate despair, struggle, anger of devastated characters under the system and colonialism

18. Hira's rating of the film Century of Birthing

We will remember the world because of cinema

19. El Biffo's rating of the film Century of Birthing

"I am still searching for the truth. The pure cinema."