1. José Neves's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Digital. In 1972, in the midst of so many fracturing films from all the new waves around, these bourgeois films with bourgeois characters for a bourgeois public were, of course, the movies that we would least wanted to see. But realizing it now, and despite an unbearable Yves Montand, it's admirable how a "camera drama" is strictly made by the camera, without moralisms, using a precise, fast, cutting editing. (...)

2. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film César and Rosalie

An excellent and nuanced exploration of the male ego as mediated through the power of a strong female presence. A film that’s quite relevant in these times when we are deluged by macho posturing, and a movie that could only have been made in France in the 70s. What a treat to see a very young Isabelle Huppert in an early role. What a natural screen presence even then!

3. Rod's rating of the film César and Rosalie

What are we doing here?....or more specifically, what is Claude Sautet doing here? One year later, and he has the same lead actress, once again in between two men. The plot isn’t as ridiculously absurd as Max and the Junkmen, but is barely a step up. Director needs to find a new bag.

4. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Therapy, anger management and a positive outlook on polyamory would save these whiney white people a lot of trouble. The film did not age that that well but I understand why it had to be there in the first place. Seriously, people, let's open up.

5. Carlos's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Mubi is so great for discovery. Second Claude Sautet film and another classic!

6. Loz Loory's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Wonderful exploration of the traditional love triangle without any of the traditional endings. Love that initial auto crash with everyone suddenly stumbling around in a swamp of tall grass. Great metaphor for the relationship stumblings to follow. Terrific performances by everyone. Exceptional costuming, especially that powerful black suit jacket on Rosalie at the end. Sami Frey is gorgeously photogenic.

7. Declan Bond's rating of the film César and Rosalie

What is right is not always what is ethical is not always what is just is not always what is happy.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Cheese served with horrible titles and an execrable soundtrack.

9. Dr. Noir's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Romy Schneider and rest of cast are superb. Sautet belongs with the French new wave. A wonderful young Isabelle Huppert is a delight to watch in only a few scenes.

10. The Society of Malcontents's rating of the film César and Rosalie

'I don't belong to you. You didn't buy me! You have no rights over me! No one does!'. What strikes me other than the male chauvinism in her tolerance to serve drinks, is that she is an exchangeable commodity positioned between two men who want to own her, and in that her love was bought with objects, and her willingness to exchange ownership, until she escaped the situation by becoming economically independent.

11. Elijah Koome's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Reminiscent of Marcel Pagnol's Marseille Trilogy. Superb performances by Schneider and Montand. 4/5

12. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film César and Rosalie

7.5/10, my review: https://wp.me/p1eXom-3hN "CESAR AND ROSALIE plays up a liberal-minded homeostasis, which archly transcends our insularity concerning gender roles and delivers us from the usual deluge of hokum."

13. Richard Tines's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Unfortunately unfinished due to film being pulled from the streaming service it was on...but an idea from now on when you see a friend looking shocked, say "did you swallow your toothbrush?"... let's make it a thing....

14. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film César and Rosalie

15. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Until yesterday I thought I didn't really like Sautet's style. But this is huge. Also, I totally fell in love with Montand's character. Why in the world I never get to meet men like César? Damn you Romy Schneider.

16. Patrick Humphreys's rating of the film César and Rosalie

A perfect film. Schneider and Montand are brilliant as always, while Sami Frey particularly shines—it's a shame he hasn't been given more opportunities in his career to do so.

17. Greg's rating of the film César and Rosalie

Sure Cesar et Rosalie has Romy Schneider and Yves Montand. And yes, they are both great in it. Sure this movie is about how love can make grown-ups crazy and infantile. But the dramatic tension doesn't feel real. Maybe it's just a French thing, and maybe I just don't get it.

18. pedro eira's rating of the film César and Rosalie