1. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Chain Letters

Drama with a poetic quality over it is practically unwatchable due to bad sound, inept editing and amateurish acting. The plot is also uncomprehensive and scenes jump all over the place. They have a connection but just barely. I like independent films but this one fails totally for me.

2. The Accidental Film Club (Paul)'s rating of the film Chain Letters

A scritchy-scratchy, VHS-looking 80's yuppie answer to Altman's Nashville. With added love triangles. More interesting than good.

3. msmichel's rating of the film Chain Letters

Pretty awful early film from director Mark Rappaport that has no ear for dialogue or the ability to create realistic characters, Interesting though that Rappaport would go on to direct two of the most interesting experimental films of the nineties namely 'Rock Hudson's Home Movies' and 'From the Journals of Jean Seberg'.

4. Myles's rating of the film Chain Letters

A less than gratifying tour of the mythologized, livable Manhattan I'm starting to believe never existed.

5. DrFirestone's rating of the film Chain Letters

Intriguing, mysterious with a slight surreal touch, which makes it "not for everyone". I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's a dreamy trip with some interesting characters and a unique mood. I saw people compare it to "Out 1" - yes, there's definitely something to it, but I'd say this is a bit weaker, especially when comes to acting, which is hit and miss, and overall it doesn't match the ethereal poetry of the former.

6. dionysus67's rating of the film Chain Letters

Too bad that this comes from the director of the wonderful "The Scenic Route". Amateurish and clumsy in all respects -technical and dramatic- this was a struggle to complete watching. Some scant fine moments in it, but overall it never gets off the ground. Disappointed.

7. captainfez's rating of the film Chain Letters

Maybe you should have your Thorazine dose upped? Maybe *I* should.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Chain Letters

It's a very low-rent Hal Hartley, with bad actors.

9. Cyrus Dayani's rating of the film Chain Letters

Presumably lesser budget vignettes of NYC folks in the 1980s - chain letters link stories although not everyone knows it. The lack of famous actors & fancy camera work made this more relatable. The ending was punchy & ahead of its time in criticizing the era for its apathy towards the less fortunate & its narcissism, prejudice, & misogyny. Lots of fucking but there's not much love. Precursor to Altman's SHORT CUTS.

10. Yash Bhati's rating of the film Chain Letters

There a good deal of undertones (Political) through out the film but an expression of "human vulnerability and causal fragility" is what I shall remember it for.

11. LibertyCapz's rating of the film Chain Letters

With its unconventional and almost dreamlike narrative structure and rather unusual dialogue this became quite the enthralling watch. Really glad I decided to watch this.

12. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Chain Letters

(1/2 star) Amateurish acting, just awful. Extremely horrible and low production design. Terribly written dialogue. Sound is bad as well. It's just a trainwreck of a film. Like a really, really bad student film trying to disguise itself as something meaningful. Nearly unwatchable.

13. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Chain Letters

At best, it's a love letter to OUT 1. At worst, it's a chain letter starting with OUT 1.

14. José Neves's rating of the film Chain Letters

It would be inevitable that Rappaport's options brought him to this state of fictional relapse, lost that were his initial premises: figurative and thematic freedom, the idiosyncrasies that so well demarcated him. We only stay with a pale demonstration of a "want-to-do" narrative, who loses a lot when compared to John Sayles, after all the independent filmmaker who best knew how to do it without losing his "voice".

15. Elston's rating of the film Chain Letters

That cover doesn't look right. Anyway, it's too bad Local Color & Imposters aren't on this website! Local Color may be one of the very best films I've ever seen.

16. Andy Rector's rating of the film Chain Letters

The still representing Rappaport's film is from Jem Cohen's CHAIN.

17. David Grillo's rating of the film Chain Letters

We don't usually see a filmmaker act completely as a poet he is a director first their poetry is said in gestures, moments and images over a vocation, closer to the painter than the author but with Rappaport his scenes pick up in verses and films a stride, you can see the poet in his poetry. Through some hit or miss acting and his style of writing and narrative is an image that is artistically grounded.

18. Aflwydd's rating of the film Chain Letters

The cover definitely needs to be changed.

19. Corinne's rating of the film Chain Letters

Why are the cute ones always shitheads?