1. Clayton Wong's rating of the film Chan Is Missing

Not a perfect film, but such an accurate, succinct summation of my experience as a Chinese American. It's hopefully enlightening to others, and sobering that few films since have been able to do the same.

2. Elephants_Gerald's rating of the film Chan Is Missing

Deeper than its "delightful" reputation suggests, though there's plenty of breeze to the narrative. Yes, it's warm and satisfying to watch a story about Asian Americans that doesn't paint them as mysterious or magical or model or weak -- it's also sad that this is such an outlier in American cinema. But for 1.25 hours, we get a lovely depiction of SF's Chinatown filled with tough, smart, wayward, messy characters.

3. msmichel's rating of the film Chan Is Missing

The debut film from Wayne Wang is an interesting relic thirty years later. The film is an ultra low budget black and white exercise examining Chinese life and the immigrant experience in San Francisco hidden within the confines of a mystery investigation. The film has a certain charm and did catch on with audiences on release but now seems a little quaint and precious.

4. Malik's rating of the film Chan Is Missing

5. Donald R. Monroe's rating of the film Chan Is Missing

Awesome "Verite" style cinematography. An enjoyable insight on Chinese-American life in the 1980's.

6. Zachary Phillip Brailsford's rating of the film Chan Is Missing

This was a rather awesome debut film from Wayne Wang. Overall, the film was very enjoyable, and it dealt with the interesting issue of Chinese identity in America, while being disguised as a thriller. I am glad I was finally able to see some of his work. Savvy