1. FISCHER's rating of the film Chocolat

Une oeuvre, certes fort personnelle, mais où les principaux personnages ne sortent pas d'une schématisation, voire d'une gênante caricature... www.cinefiches.com

2. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Chocolat

An very good debut from Claire Denis, yet I can't help but think it pales in comparison to her later works, which is what keeps me from liking it more.

3. Chris's rating of the film Chocolat

visually arresting... maybe a bit too slow but overall a great presentation of the difficult theme of colonialism, 7/10

4. ammar's rating of the film Chocolat

5. Adam GR's rating of the film Chocolat

An iconic debut. Honest. Isaach de Bankolé in his prime!!!!!!!!!1111

6. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Chocolat

7. Diderot's rating of the film Chocolat

Remarkably good for a first time director. Denis was brilliant from day-one.

8. Y.'s rating of the film Chocolat

Chocolat is an examination of the relationship between the coloniser and the colonised. What I find particularly interesting is that whilst the differences created by class and race are palpable between master and servant, they are only brought to light, when an outsider french family fully expresses their contempt for the colonised.

9. Gisèle Kérosène's rating of the film Chocolat

10. Renton47's rating of the film Chocolat

We regard children as slight in the world but often they look at things with a more discerning eye than we could hope for. How to explain to them the world we have constructed, what their place in it means? Young France skirts around the events of the film but thankfully she will forever be scarred but what she learns. Sometimes life is as obvious as it seems to a child. Gorgeous, haunting film.

11. Stevie's rating of the film Chocolat

Denis' first feature is an intriguing first-hand look into colonisation and it's long-term impacts. The framing is perfect.

12. Fernando Nahuel Marturet's rating of the film Chocolat

13. Robert W Peabody III's rating of the film Chocolat

Chocolate (1988) Chocolat DIR Claire Denis SCR Claire Denis, Jean-Pol Fargeau 105 Min _Here's my riddle: A charming young girl... weaves children around her neck._

14. Nikyatu's rating of the film Chocolat

Beautiful and unpredictable. For once the Big Black Man didn't succumb to the fetishizing sexual wiles of the delicate white woman.

15. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Chocolat

Sutil cuando se trata de refractar las emociones, tanto sociales, de poder, como las sexuales o de deseo. Claire Denis realiza un filme en donde (a excepción de una escena de una riña) nada se consuma. Camerún (por entonces en sus últimos años como colonia) se manifiesta en un caserío como un espacio público(sirvientes) y otro privado(extranjeros).Es una división imaginaria, como el horizonte. Hay una mirada infantil

16. Damian's rating of the film Chocolat

A subtle and astonishingly moving comment on colonialism, based on Denis' own upbringing. One of her best.

17. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film Chocolat

Living in South Africa and having to confront on a day-to-day basis many of the postcolonial issues that Denis explores, I found this film amongst the most politically subtle and astute films about colonisation that I have ever seen. Even in a post-Apartheid South Africa, racial and class relationships are frequently as polarizing as they're presented here. An intensely relevant film.

18. Mike A's rating of the film Chocolat

An absolute masterpiece. The long takes, wide angles and autonomy of each shot allow a willfulness of style without didacticism or rhythmic interruption; the zooms and tracks are both individually assertive and totally subsumed into the larger tapestry. That's what you can pull off when you make authorial self-conscious your central mode.

19. Swamp Leech's rating of the film Chocolat

As always with Claire Denis, no matter how much is left unexplained or how fragmented things are, we are carried along by the humanity, and spellbinding nature of her images (credit also to Agnes Godard). She leaves space for us to think abut the relationships in the film which are interesting and unpredictable. Loved it!