1. grotescsetorg's rating of the film Christmas in July

2. nessmj's rating of the film Christmas in July

4.5 - absolutely wonderful. Sturges really brings home the idea that money often influences our ideas of respect and prestige with whom we are not well acquainted. The camera nearly constantly keeping Jimmy and Ellen together throughout their story works to illustrate that regardless of social standing or societal value, people can exist and strive outside these ideas.

3. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Christmas in July

A sustained two-shot of Powell & Drew next to a radio discussing money, disillusionment, the limitations of romance within the context of the here & now, body postures conveying yearning & distance simultaneously, & all of this punctuated by the rhythm of Sturges' dialogue: I immediately knew this would be special, the director's finest film. Ideas alone rarely matter as money & social status overwhelm everything.

4. knockkneed's rating of the film Christmas in July

5. Blumes's rating of the film Christmas in July

In a little over an hour, Sturges covers all his bases.

6. Ben Bosko's rating of the film Christmas in July

7. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Christmas in July

It's all about the writing… and it is phenomenal. Another Sturges classic ahead of its time (the critique on a growing capitalistic society) that is yet to earn the praise it immensely deserves.

8. Terri Wise's rating of the film Christmas in July

9. localdjango's rating of the film Christmas in July

The still is from "Remember the Night" not "Christmas in July."

10. PolarisDiB's rating of the film Christmas in July

Mostly classic good fun with great dialog, a humble protagonist, and characters that would be called 'quirky' if released today. The first act drags, however, and in some places the rough editing and rambling speeches indicate that not all oldies are goodies.--PolarisDiB

11. Mark_Med's rating of the film Christmas in July

Great little film---one of Preston Sturges' first as director I believe. Action and plot move along swiftly but I must admit I still don't get the phrase the hero dreams up to win the contest...everything else about this movie is hilarious!

12. Dave's rating of the film Christmas in July

I think the most underrated of Sturges' work and unquestionably a 5/5 film. It has nowhere near the reputation that The Lady Eve, Sullivan's Travels, or The Palm Beach Story have, but it is just as good. "It's not the coffee, it's the bunk!"

13. CRUSSER's rating of the film Christmas in July

Perfect viewing if you are a barista in the throes of Obamanomics.