1. Lucas Granero's rating of the film Cilaos

¿Has escuchado alguna vez la voz que pide venganza? ¿Has oído los gritos furiosos de la sangre que hierve? Como cadenazo en los dientes, como escupitajo de fuego, este corto de Restrepo se enciende y jamás se convierte en ceniza: su incandescente imagen late en cada cuadro del mismo modo en el que lo hacen los personajes que circulan, contando un cuento al mismo tiempo que cantan, cantando al mismo tiempo que viven.

2. saitosouta's rating of the film Cilaos

How the hell can I say "DOPE" in Creole?

3. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Cilaos

"Everything dances! Quicksand too." This film took me by surprise. Didn't expect it to feel so deep and resonant to my life when it is so not my life or story on the face of it. Something archetypal here. And maybe anything can be set to polyrhythms and cut to the quick if the musicians are feeling it. Was like being read an old version of a fairy tale when you are young, your own images blazing into your brain.

4. Lily Parmenter's rating of the film Cilaos

5. Bill Boothman's rating of the film Cilaos

Cilaos begins as a melancholic search for a father, perhaps for revenge. When it is revealed that the father, called The Mouth, is dead things take a sociological turn. This sense is underpinned by the blaxploitation style this short is shot in. Finally, the short ends in a frenzied, nihilistic, Freudian realization of masculine adulthood.

6. muse_x's rating of the film Cilaos

Glory-be! Glorious!! Hooray for Postmodernism!!!

7. David Richards's rating of the film Cilaos

Interesting short film. I liked the music, but wished that it was a bit longer so that the story and characters could be fleshed out a bit more. What was really missing was a visual sense of place. Things were very minimal, focused on the actors and always at the same distance.

8. nathansuher's rating of the film Cilaos

Really liked the dated film look. Looks like it was legitimately shot on film stock from the 70's. Overall, not my thing, but gotta respect the effort put into it.

9. caitlin.f's rating of the film Cilaos

awesome. love these shorts. would love to see more of these on mubi!

10. Jennifer Sharp's rating of the film Cilaos

The lack of transitions made introducing characters and settings confusing, but in the end it was easy to discern who was who between the characters. The use of song is unique - not an opera but also not quite a musical. The storytelling through lyrics painted a vivid picture of each characters' stories, beliefs, and values. The erratic character focus on the last song played well to illustrate The Mouth's lifestyle.

11. David R Williams's rating of the film Cilaos

Five stars for the final sequence...you can feel the snap and the bite.

12. Joshua Wonders's rating of the film Cilaos

Another odd short film from the NY Film Festival. The incorporation of musical aspects in this short film was a daring effort and succeeded to some effect. The film itself though had no basis and was difficult to follow. As the film went on it became increasingly more formal and therefore more excruciatingly difficult to keep track of, especially with an odd musical number at the end which further muddied the waters.

13. Neil troost's rating of the film Cilaos

best line -'your hole is on fire'

14. Madeline Mckinzie's rating of the film Cilaos

I loved the use of song in this short. The first two were so mesmerizing and touching. However, the third song in the final scene of the short, really threw me for a loop though. Restrepo and Mazloums's cinematography really helped add to the whole motif. The angles, framing, and the lighting were the finishing touches that made the film so great.

15. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Cilaos

In which ecstasy imposes itself on the blues.

16. Kate Gaudy's rating of the film Cilaos

the sound, that voice, and those words, plus the minimal new wave (ish) grit aesthetics.

17. turnerBroadcast p3Dr0's rating of the film Cilaos

One wonders if this is the same Restrepo immortalized by Sebastian Junger. How can we explain the coincidence? THE MAN.

18. Miggy Angel's rating of the film Cilaos

19. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Cilaos

(2.5 stars) Some interesting use of song. Not my bag, but better than other short experimental things I've seen lately. Committed actress. Nice work.