1. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film City of Life and Death

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film City of Life and Death

3. Timmy93's rating of the film City of Life and Death

A tough but must watch. A very well made film and sensitive of the topics being portrayed.

4. clarud@hotmail.com's rating of the film City of Life and Death

It might be a great movie, but it is so disturbing that makes me think it must have taken a serious sadistic drive to make it

5. Zoe Ormonde's rating of the film City of Life and Death

"Life is more difficult than death."

6. Richard Doyle's rating of the film City of Life and Death

An utterly beautiful and devastating film about the Rape of Nanking. I have seen it compared to "Schindler's List", and there simply is no comparison. This is an immeasurably better film. In fact, it's probably the best film I never want to see again.

7. mpho3's rating of the film City of Life and Death

"The responsibility of handling such an important and politically sensitive event might cause a lesser filmmaker to play it safe, and to some extent, the multiple storylines do seem imported from war movies past. But ... Lu wriggles out of convention where he can ... and engages with history as an artist, not a hagiographer." - Scott Tobias, AV Club. "Life is more difficult than death." - Kadokawa

8. Onbestendig's rating of the film City of Life and Death

9. tintinmugshot's rating of the film City of Life and Death

It´s one of the best war movies ever made. Don´t stick with the Schindler´s List comparison, this is much more rough, violent, visceral. This is not Hollywood. And what the war is? That´s why I like this kind of cinema´s masterpiece. It makes me think how rough the world was, is, and will be. And let´s pray for a brighter day, to all of us. Because, in the very end, all we can do is pray.

10. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film City of Life and Death

The use of black and white and the remove we feel toward many of the characters is necessary in this disturbing film so we don't turn away from the screen in horror, with all the up close and personal murders taking place. I wanted to know more about some of the characters, especially the Nazi sympathizer Mr. Rabe and his Chinese secretary.

11. Tigger00's rating of the film City of Life and Death

12. CastleofWorms's rating of the film City of Life and Death

The pinnacle of contemporary Asian cinema. A touching and compelling vision of a horror the west often forgets shot in stunning black and white cinematography. This breaks the mold of typical Nanjing films by portraying the Japanese characters (particularly Kadokawa) as multifaceted humans rather than purely anti-Chinese monsters like many Mandarin films on the subject tend to.

13. David R Williams's rating of the film City of Life and Death

Mubi compares this to Spielberg’s Schindler’s List but its far closer to Saving Private Ryan. Gorgeous black and white cinematography gives even the most appalling sequences a strange almost etheral beauty. Harrowing, tragic. Not an easy to film to watch but a film that should be watched.

14. Joshua Paolino's rating of the film City of Life and Death

Phenomenal in its depiction of the brutality of war.

15. Wee Hunk's rating of the film City of Life and Death

I think we understand that the real thing was very brutal. I don't need to see that to get an understanding of what went on. It was delicate balance that this film achieved. A very brave film which should be applauded.

16. Dogville59's rating of the film City of Life and Death

A testament to the depths of depravity humans can devolve into and to the heights of nobility others can attain. A powerful movie. Visually stunning.

17. Carmen Dindi's rating of the film City of Life and Death

I love the black and white shooting that adds more drama to the story. The Japanese private character is the only human among dehumanized soldiers giving hope that there is some feeling in worst butchers.

18. amanda wild's rating of the film City of Life and Death

a movie that expresses this face http://hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/12677/CityofLifeandDeath+2009-8-b.jpg

19. msmichel's rating of the film City of Life and Death

Incredible picture on all levels from director Lu Chuan who gives a masterful take on the Rape of Nanking. Lu is one of the best directors to emerge in the last fifteen years from China but the growth from his two first features (Missing Gun and Kekexili) is staggering. Cinematography by Cao Yu is breathtaking and the performances captured are genuine and exacting. One can only be left breathless by the images.

20. Mysterious F.'s rating of the film City of Life and Death

I hope this comes out on DVD soon.

21. Floyd Webb's rating of the film City of Life and Death

Incredible story based on true events. Most profound War story I have seen in a long time. The action and audio of combat is TOO real. Surprisingly even handed treatment of the things soldiers do in war. The black and white is lucious. This is a superior film from the people's republic.

22. Makh's rating of the film City of Life and Death

The movie was expertly crafted and leaves a haunting impression; however, in comparison to first-hand accounts of the Rape of Nanjing, it was extremely tame in its depiction of the massacre, and at times a bit too sympathetic to the Japanese. That being said, the film's depiction of the violence still isn't for the easily disturbed.

23. Guy Budziak's rating of the film City of Life and Death

A friend told me of another film dealing with the same subject released in the late Eighties, entitled MEN BEHIND THE SUN. Everything I've read and heard about it tells me that it's something I will never see, as it's an exploitation film with no real merit. Having just seen CITY OF LIFE AND DEATH two days ago, I can say with confidence that it is anything but. A film with an epic scale, but somber, stirring, human.

24. Ike Cinecult's rating of the film City of Life and Death

This is the second 'Schindler's List'