1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film City of Pirates

I like art films that have a sense of humor, and are not afraid of being silly. An art film that makes fun of art films. Ruiz has that in spades. He also gives you stuff to figure out. Engagement.

2. Latif Yılmaz's rating of the film City of Pirates

I think the most significant aspect of the film is the universe it creates with images, things and colors. This creates a new time-space imagination and mix of dream- life, memory and psyche.

3. Dada Kubin's rating of the film City of Pirates

Sinister and surreal cinema that is open for many interpretations. But forget the interpretations, you can also just sit back and wonder, be amazed, get schocked (more than once), enjoy the odd dialogues and the psychedelic colours, and at some point it starts to make sense in some complex way which at least I can’t put into words after watching it only once.

4. fearraigh's rating of the film City of Pirates

As with much of Ruiz's work, the texture of the film is ineffable. It casts an enchanting spell (particularly that Herrmanesque score and Melvil Poupaud's devilish performance). Shame about the longueurs though. Ruiz is almost daring you to get bored and let your attention drift.

5. DrFirestone's rating of the film City of Pirates

An amazing surreal dream, madly poetic in all its aspects - the colours, dialogues, music. The cinematography is top class, with a subtle choice of angles and composition. Those who look for a story, will surely end up disappointed - this is a mysterious drift, reaching deep into the realms of subconsciousness, identity and memory. It feels like the experience of a recurring, incomprehensible dream that haunts us...

6. aconeyisland's rating of the film City of Pirates

Don't know what it was but it was awesome.

7. captainfez's rating of the film City of Pirates

I'm neither wasted nor European enough for this film.

8. Matteo Boscolo's rating of the film City of Pirates

Un dipinto surrealista e simbolico di una potenza e bellezza indescrivibile. L'inconscio del regista si palesa in una sofferenza universale e incompresa, una sofferenza d'amore che porta le nostre vite dal fiume verso il mare, "che è la morte".

9. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film City of Pirates

Cinema is actually magic & dreams & nightmares are all completely true & cameras can do shit your dumb eyeballs can't. Ruiz's film is like Leonora Carrington's novel 'The Stone Door': full of shifting identities, occult rituals, and images that shake the subconscious.

10. Jérôme's rating of the film City of Pirates

l'atmosphère du film est vraiment très pesante et pas toujours facile à suivre, parfois même un peu pénible. Mais c'est aussi ce qui permet donner au film son côté malsain, dérangeant et surréaliste.

11. Levi Miah's rating of the film City of Pirates

One of the most visceral, dream-like experiences in cinema. You don't need to delve further than its magical images paired with its magical score to fully experience it, but there's plenty of allegorical material to pick apart for rewatching.

12. Pango's rating of the film City of Pirates

It was like diving into several surrealist canvases.

13. Superfrog's rating of the film City of Pirates

Past the weirdness point where I find it acceptable in spite of good cinematography. I am sure that t is a salient parallel with something, and I like the surrealism, but this completely fais to pull me in.

14. Dimitris's rating of the film City of Pirates

Maya Deren's nightmares would probably feel something like this. Defying explanation, the surrealist narrative of the film interchanges sexuality and death, reality and dreams, identity and memory. The masterful opening shot, where the camera tries to escape the sickly world of the film through an open window only to be forcefully shut back in, tells you everything you need to know about the intentions of Ruiz

15. tintinmugshot's rating of the film City of Pirates

16. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film City of Pirates

Written and directed by Raoul Ruiz, this is a delight for fans of dream-like surrealism. Although not entirely cohesive, as is the way with dream fragments, the performances and strength of emotion help to make this a consistently engrossing experience.

17. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film City of Pirates

Come on! How has no one mentioned that this is an allegory on post Franco Spain? Including the 1981 coup d'etat... The cities of the North who give trouble, the decaying general at the end... San Sebastian! Watch the film with this in mind and you'll peel back another layer. Otherwise, it's like The Princess Bride took qualudes and ended up having a bad trip.

18. Mario C.'s rating of the film City of Pirates

Oniric, complex and almost inaccessible. A wealth of visual suggestions that could have filled 10 films, where the formal aspects displace the viewer even before the story. To be watched by getting overwhelmed.

19. Jason's rating of the film City of Pirates

While Ruiz had come to cinema very much the unschooled amateur, by the early 80s he had evolved into a master (though still essentially an amateur of decidedly modest means). The complicated Russian-doll stories he tells, often riven w/ split identities and dominated by opaque machinations, speak to the influence of Latin American literature. His visual style (utterly remarkable) begins to owe much to Welles.

20. Paul Rot's rating of the film City of Pirates

21. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film City of Pirates

Very beautiful (particularly at the start), very stylised, very strange.

22. Fabiha's rating of the film City of Pirates

"To be reincarnated is to have the honor of dying again. We promise to pursue our struggle in the triumph of death."

23. Stevie's rating of the film City of Pirates

Quickly realised when watching this schizophrenic masterpiece that whether or not it made sense didn't really matter. Incredible cinematography.

24. letters never sent's rating of the film City of Pirates

Outstanding. It resembles some of my complex and never-ending surreal and dizzying dreams and nightmares. I can see hints of Bunuel, and even Erice, etc.