1. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film Closed Curtain

Riveting first half. Surrealist, indulgent, narcissistic second half. A lovely "dog-film" (first half). Possibly writer /director/actor Kambuzia Partovi and the beautiful actress Maryam Moqadam are the strengths. Panahi has talent. An element of disbelief that exudes most of his interesting projects. (Here: dogs on the open beach in daylight at the end of the film, which contradicts earlier statements.)

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Closed Curtain

3. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Closed Curtain

4. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Closed Curtain

"Documentary/Drama"? Thanks for the warning... I think. I would actually add a third 'D' to the mix: Dream. The disjointed narrative is fragmented, redirected, and refracted through the mind of the artist. The sense of claustrophobia is nothing new: this is samizdat cinema, made when a country attempts to control thought and expression. Many artists do, in fact, give up and 'wade into the sea'; others go into exile.

5. Mitchell Glidden's rating of the film Closed Curtain

*More like 3.5 The best of the 3 post-house arrest movies. Bursts out from its fictional narrative in a way that feels both cathartic and spooky.

6. caitlin.f's rating of the film Closed Curtain

ok maybe i just don't get it but this didn't make any damn sense to me.

7. -REM-'s rating of the film Closed Curtain

8. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Closed Curtain

There is something remarkable with how Panahi is able to represent the forms and degrees of oppression within the confined space of his own home. Stretching from himself within the film, his dog (especially with the legal parallels that he portrays), and the meta criticism omni-present throughout. Panahi is accomplishing work on a higher plane of thinking under scrutiny than most people could who are totally free.

9. DSPRKY's rating of the film Closed Curtain

Each of Panahi's post-arrest films has been intensely personal, but this seems to be the most deeply autobiographical and cerebral of the three. There are some wonderful compositions, a head-scratching metanarrative and an interesting message about filmmaking and politics. I suspect this will take a second viewing for the themes to really sink in.

10. Mary Eff's rating of the film Closed Curtain

I am deeply annoyed by the people who claim this film is taking it too far. To me, the writer and the woman and the first part of the film as a whole could be characters of a film Panahi could be making if he were able to work. We see the film go on and then along with the director himself, comes reality. They haunt him,sometimes they seem visible to him, sometimes not.They die, but somehow stay alive. Much like him.

11. melis.'s rating of the film Closed Curtain

12. Alex's rating of the film Closed Curtain

13. adrianmendizabal's rating of the film Closed Curtain

14. Brendan's rating of the film Closed Curtain

"If you could tell a film, why make a film?" says Panahi in This Is Not a Film. Now, he is thinking, "If I can make a film, who and what am I responsible for?"

15. Jason's rating of the film Closed Curtain

Starts and ends perfectly, with one extraordinary bit of business in the middle. The problem is an old one: w/ allegory, one always risks saying very important things in a way that is silly. I like dogs enough, but I wanted to kick that dog in the face. First half is not good, second half is actually quite good.

16. filmcapsule's rating of the film Closed Curtain

Closed Curtain is equal parts defiance and despair. Like many Iranian films since that country’s “new wave” in the ‘80s and ‘90s, Closed Curtain is full of contradictions, yet it's also closer to Pirandello or Beckett than the cinematic metafictions made famous by Panahi’s peers. http://filmcapsule.com/2014/08/20/closed-curtain-2014/

17. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Closed Curtain

Simple in execution, sometimes baffling, but hard to forget, “Closed Curtain” is a valid representation of Jafar Panahi’s current inner state. (3.5 stars)

18. Marcelo's rating of the film Closed Curtain

My review: www.incinerrante.com/texts/parde-closed-curtain-an-allegory-of-insurgency

19. msmichel's rating of the film Closed Curtain

FNC '13 Panahi's real life house arrest and ban from filmmaking have not stilted his artistic expression as evidenced here with his latest work. A scripted film begins but is shortly abandoned replaced by Panahi himself and the ghosts that haunt him both real and imagined. Underneath the obvious is satire, futility and anger.

20. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Closed Curtain

★★★★ a director's blockade.

21. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Closed Curtain

Panahi's follow-up to This is Not a Film is more scripted, which means it's less fluid, and the games it plays with reality more explicit. But it's also much more melancholy—not a mischievous act of artistic creation triumphing over adversity, but a work left unfinished when the creator loses hope. So as someone who found This is Not a Film to be a revelation, it left me devastated. 4 out of 5 stars.

22. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film Closed Curtain