1. Mariana Cruz's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

A tender and charming coming-of-age story that gives the Czech New Wave a good name. A juxtaposition of comedic obscenity and the underlying solemnity of a tragedy. It would be a fun challenge to try and find every phallic image or subtle erotic suggestion that come up on screen.

2. film_lies101's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

The melancholy of youth and the realism of war

3. OGH's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

Société bloquée, abandon, timidité, désespoir... Mais aussi burlesque, sexualité et sensibilité... Un récit d'apprentissage au ton juste... Pour une fin conforme à l'éjaculation précoce...

4. BUSTER TIERNEY's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

4,2/5 Belle réussite où l'humour draine le drame. Tous les étudiants pandas ont retenu "ahoj" !

5. Pierre.F's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

Super film de la Nouvelle Vague tchèque. Une très belle fiction avec une tonalité légère mais très profonde. La gravité du film apparaît aussi dans son grotesque et son ironie. Il n'y a pas d'échappatoire, seulement le geste final du héros.

6. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

So much more than a coming-of-age film, Hrabal's work knowingly articulates a complex sense of national identity and Menzel captures perfectly that idiosyncratic blend of comedy, pathos, absurdity and, above all, compassion. Stylistically it remains a comic delight but it also has real satiric teeth and an urgent appeal for liberation - pertinent to both the film's setting and the circumstances in which it was made.

7. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

8. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

9. unverfügbar's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

A beautifully told story of a boy's initiation. The visually poetic storytelling surpasses Hrabal's way of putting it, at least in my opinion. The sequence with stamps (with the mother showing it off to everyone) will remain an unforgettable one.

10. ant's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

Miloooooossssss noooooo. Beautiful film. Would work in Italy with the exact same story.

11. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

...one of the highest points of world cinema,; Czchekoslovakia .... 1966 ... nothing is as bad as it seems . As we gasp and grasp for air in a sea of strictly regulated passion, history has the ability to snatch us up and impose manhood suddenly and unexpectedly. - Now I have finally seen this classic, better known as Closely Observed Trains, having read so many reviews... it was still a great delight and surprise

12. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

A strange, yet mesmerising, mix of coming of age angst, bawdy comedy, and wartime drama, Closely Watched Trains is a unique and enjoyable experience, moving from lighter moments to tragedy with aplomb.

13. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

A small (quirky) fable on the boredom of passing wartime and the things that occupy a young boys mind in the foreground of tragedy. The cinematic equivalent of sitting in an old world Prague cafe and drinking a hot cup of chocolate.

14. PanelSystem's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

Sexual frankness is unnerving in black and white, yet this film is of-its-time, preceded by the first few Carry On films: broad humour, a historical backdrop undermined by irreverent farce, and female characters who (aside from a pair of kindly old mothers) are invariably willing nubiles. In Milos's eyes, everyone is doing it, so why can't he? A film about the unfairness of adolescence, and finally history.

15. Leigh Collins's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

I'm afraid I found this a little dull and nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is. And the theme of pretty young nymphomaniac girls wanting to cop off with ugly or older men just made it feel as dated as an episode of Benny Hill.

16. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

17. John Burgess's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

A glorious gem, with surely one of the most tastefully erotic scenes in modern cinema. Total joy. I loved it.

18. Trickstian Shantih's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

19. Steve G.'s rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

Brings some much needed glamour to stamp collecting.

20. Tja's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

Laughter, love, steam trains and Nazis. A stonking combo.

21. anthony's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

Czech insight , universal theme and Check out the Czech humour !! Afterwards you can put on Bitter Sweet Symphony and count your blessings your alive and kicking

22. McOpinionated's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

4 and a half stars - I'm feeling generous to boost it to 5, because in part of the time and place in which it was made, just before the Soviet tanks came to impose their government's view and crush this sort of humanistic, comic, dark, piece of celebratory art.

23. Nachtreich's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

24. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Closely Watched Trains

So many great moments in this film. It's about love and sacrifice, and is filled with humor. I like that the young man is so open about his problems. Milos is talking to the station master. "Dr Brabec said that an older woman should teach me, so I was wondering whether you know one." "No, I don't, Milos, you'll have to find one yourself." "What about your wife?" "No, she's all mine!"

← Previous 1 3 4