1. Alborz M's rating of the film Cockfighter

2. Desjarlais's rating of the film Cockfighter

I love Warren and I love Monty. Cockfighting disgusts me. I tried watching, but just couldn't do it.

3. Steve G.'s rating of the film Cockfighter

An excuse for Monte Hellman and his mates to watch some cockfights. Of absolutely no value otherwise.

4. Beatriz Ourique's rating of the film Cockfighter

5. SeemsLikeFun's rating of the film Cockfighter

Probably deserves a 4 but the animals harmed during the making of it really make it hard for me to enjoy it. No Fear, No Die was able to tell a similar story about cockfighting without the excessive animal cruelty. Fantastic cast, though. Oates is great.

6. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film Cockfighter

It's a difficult movie to critique.... I left it with mixed feelings, but certainly worth watching.

7. dr0nestar's rating of the film Cockfighter

saw this on 35mm last weekend. an ambiguously beautiful and horrifying odyssey. Oates is so charismatic that it is easy to join in with the many spectators in the film and cheer. Many could watch this film and feel no remorse.

8. Ethan's rating of the film Cockfighter

This is a good companion piece to Hellman's Two Lane Blacktop and also the performance of Warren Oates career. It is a damn shame that Hellman didn't get the chance to make more films and that Oates didn't play the lead more often. Every time he was the lead he knocked it out of the park. Who knew a movie about chicken fighting could be so good.

9. Dominic Simard-Jean's rating of the film Cockfighter

Existential cinema at it's finest. The movie's profound reflection on the American dream and masculinity, conveyed by a mute Warren Oates in what is probably his best performance, is combined with a raw insight on a sub-culture that's illegal and cruel but still popular all over America (with some more than striking images by the master Almendros), making Cockfighter the definitive American movie of the 70's.

10. Comadozer's rating of the film Cockfighter

Atop the pantheon of "great mute roles." Cockfighter never seems to try. The beauty of the lack of over thinking results in a really satisfying groove. I found it a strangely peaceful movie experience. And I'm a vegetarian.

11. dave gunn's rating of the film Cockfighter

I can't believe chickens were killed for this shitty fucking film.

12. Jamie Scott-Dyson's rating of the film Cockfighter

I liked it but I didn't love it. I'd say that statement applies to every element of this film accept Oats's performance. It manages to establish a fascinating world of colorful southern eccentrics but squanders potentially powerful themes through its docile tone. Not the grizzly 70's beast I was hoping for but good none the less. 3/5

13. Lucas Granero's rating of the film Cockfighter

En la Norteamerica mas profunda y crepúscular posible, Warren Oates y Harry Dean Stanton enfrentan a sus gallos a muerte. Cada batalla pone en juego mas cosas de las que en realidad se dicen (y eso que Oates no dice casi nada) y el honor de ambos, sin quién gane o pierda, jamas se doblega. En el medio aparecen algunas mujeres que van y vienen. No parece suceder mucho mas. ¿Otra obra maestra minimalista de Hellman? Si

14. Christian Font's rating of the film Cockfighter

Such an incredible Oates's performance...wonderful what he does without hardly saying any word in the entire film

15. Tendoza's rating of the film Cockfighter

Morally confrontational, visually hypnotic. Oates' finest hour, a poetic and human scrape into the heart of the obsession and the misplaced need for redemption. Ends with one of the most furiously romantic gestures put to film.

16. RRRYAN's rating of the film Cockfighter

Warren Oates' performance in "The Cockfighter" is -- in my opinion -- the finest performance in a leading role, ever.

17. Robert W Peabody III's rating of the film Cockfighter

Hellman + Oates = doesn’t get any better ........and those satisfactions are permanent

18. Howard Orr's rating of the film Cockfighter

What could so easily have been a tale of despicable characters and a repellant trade is transformed into a celebration of Americana via Hellman's astute direction and -above all- Oates' masterful rendition of sang-froid, silent outsiderness. It is really Oates that adds emphasis to the film's core, and very Hawksian, theme that professionalism reinforces and elevates manliness in even the seediest trades.

19. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Cockfighter

A strange look at a strange American subculture. Cockfighter isn't exactly gripping cinema, but there is something powerful and hypnotic about it. It captures a slice of life and succeeds in really making you taste the dirt and sweat of country life. Anchored by a great performance by the always great Warren Oates and some evocative visuals this is quite the unique film.

20. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film Cockfighter

I guess I expected something more... it's not a bad film, but falls short to "Two-lane Blacktop" in my opinion.

21. Cbarky99's rating of the film Cockfighter

Really torn on this one: Some great performances, and an interesting take on the world of cockfighting, but I couldn't get past the chicken-on-chicken violence

22. sammy's rating of the film Cockfighter

I think Hellman was sorta asleep at the wheel on this one, but lucky for him (and us!) it's got: Warren Oates killing it in every scene, a script by Charles Willeford, authentic rural Georgia locations, awesome supporting actors Stanton, Bird, Willeford, Jones (James Earl's brother), Bagley jr(his first role-playing an inbred moron), the sleaziest Steve Railsback ever, and Almendros shooting the whole thing. Gold.