1. MisterColo93's rating of the film Colossal Youth

2. DSPRKY's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Good lord, hire an editor next time.

3. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Separate the elements then bring them together to make some sense. The monotone dialogue delivery undercutting any sense of concrete reality. The unique compositions, almost unearthly, empty, vacuous, unadorned, Beckettian. The same Shot repeated at different times in the film but one is unsure whether it is the same time that has been cut over the film or time is ever present. A film to study.

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Colossal Youth

The thick, heavy contrast and unique lighting are what have made these films for me, that and the honest and touching portrayal of poverty and life. Touching not in the traditional way, in a more truthful and realistic way. It doesn’t feel like a manipulation, although, I suppose, it has to be in the end. But it’s more documentary than drama in it’s feeling, even though it’s more composed than that.

5. -REM-'s rating of the film Colossal Youth

6. Fabiha's rating of the film Colossal Youth

"No use begging around here. Everyone's poor."

7. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Colossal Youth

8. Beatriz Ourique's rating of the film Colossal Youth

“Eu gostava de te oferecer 100 000 cigarros.”

9. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Colossal Youth

My favorite Costa so far, though it feels elusive in my memory.

10. ihor's rating of the film Colossal Youth

A painterly chiaroscuro social realism looking at depths of human deprivation. The fusion of cinematic form, and the presentation of casual documentary like human interactions is stunning. Costa's world is not aesthetically beautiful in the traditional sense as he challenges conventional notions with shots of battered rooms, worn out humans, and generally decaying matter where darkness almost continually dominates.

11. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Pedro Costa's film is an intimate walk through a village that is no more and is a haunting, unforgettable experience!

12. paxy's rating of the film Colossal Youth

13. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Desde "Casa de lava", Pedro Costa ha tenido una fascinación por los espacios decadentes, desde una visión espectral, de personajes que deambulan en un contexto en donde se sienten arraigados. A esto se suma la iluminación natural y texturas desgastadas también presente en "La sangre". "Juventud en marcha" obedece a una normativa de la docu-ficción. Ese "padre" universal en ese mundo calcinado por lo decadente.

14. Brendan's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Like the best of Ford, every gesture, every word, every ray of light registers as deeply historical and symbolic.

15. Mellow Dude's rating of the film Colossal Youth

And here i am watching this without subtitles, and still can't take my eyes off it.

16. Stevie's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Vanda's still alive! But unfortunately Zita has died. Ventura is an almost ghost-like character who acts as a father figure to the lost souls and poverty-stricken members of Fontainhas. Very beautiful with typical Costa framing.

17. Ricardo Branco's rating of the film Colossal Youth

"O teu cabelo tão lindo cai-me das mãos como erva seca. Às vezes perco as forças e julgo que vou esquecer-me."

18. dialupmodem's rating of the film Colossal Youth

some of the most visually striking scenes i have ever seen

19. José Neves's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Cinematography by Leonardo Simões - also for Pedro Costa's "Sweet Exorcist".

20. James Devereaux's rating of the film Colossal Youth

21. wpqx's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Sorry to disagree with everyone but this is boring cinema of the highest order and a monumental waste of time, it felt like it was 20 hours long. Keep in mind that I typically don't have a problem with comically long static takes but I must have severely missed the point on this one.

22. Modal Kinema's rating of the film Colossal Youth

My review of this film and Costa's filmography in general (and I warn ye in advance that it's rather long, but would appreciate any willing readers!): http://www.thehydramag.com/2010/05/the-colossal-cinema-of-pedro-costa-part-three/

23. REH1101's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Coming to Criterion in March.

24. sandwiches's rating of the film Colossal Youth

Ditto, Roger. Plus two other Costa's.