1. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Contact

The least favorable of Alan Clarke's Northern Ireland trilogy. Adds nothing new to cinema's long, long conversation upon war. "War is hell" doesn't get it done.

2. Levi Miah's rating of the film Contact

Late Alan Clarke was raging. Again, he uses heavy repetition of violence and mundanity to brutal effect. He relentlessly screamed at us to empathetically understand the impact of human conflict in his final few films by forcing a neutral POV to restrict any mental bias. Providing no political context, nor character backstory - he just shows killing, dying and the affect they have on human beings that may be like you.

3. mubianer's rating of the film Contact

Another great Clarke film. He's becoming one my favourite directors. The meaninglessness of young lives being taken in a conflict, the peaceful landscape suddenly shattered by violence, the boredom and paranoia of war. According to the guy next to me in the cinema who was a soldier in Northern Ireland during the time it's also very realistic.

4. David Grillo's rating of the film Contact

A soldier remains pure by following his commander but first he must become a soldier.