1. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

2. Dan's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Possibly the coolest film to come out of Japan in the 50s. I'm also waiting on the essay that explores the Hawaiian shirt as a symbol of rebellion from this film through Sonatine / Romeo + Juliet.

3. thelastronaut's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Not sure which I loved more, the old Hawaiian shirts or the soundtrack with its mix of slow jazz, surf music, and ukelele. Good slow burn and great portrayal of youth and the sexual tension that accompanies it.

4. Son Of Torgo's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

5. sodr2's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Excellent photography and the ending will leave me scarred for life.

6. patchwork's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Ancora un film della new wave giapponese sul disagio delle nuove generazioni, tra orientamenti morali che si sgretolano e contaminazioni statunitensi che aumentano lo spaesamento. Quando vuole sottolineare i suoi intenti risulta un po' didascalico, però è un bel vedere e con personaggi a tutto tondo perdenti nello scontro con il loro lato oscuro: più che sulla perdita dell'innocenza, è un film sulla sua disfatta

7. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Repression, simmering, explosion.

8. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Sometimes it is difficult to see a movie with fresh eyes-- so much has happened since.

9. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

"There must have been a strain of corruption in Japanese politics at the time." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/06/episode-61-new-j-wave-part-one-here.html

10. José Neves's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

The stunning final sequence - which curiously refers back to what Akerman would do in her adaptation of Proust's "La Fugitive" -, where the highly contrasted cinematography introduces the nuances of a psychological action, contrasts with the rest of the film, a banal vision of a postwar youth, "safe" in visual terms but without the disturbance of the opening credits' flashforward and the mentioned final.

11. JVG's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

"Crazed Fruit" would be praised enough by saying it marks the beginning of the glorious Japanese New Wave. But, on the other hand, Nakahira creates such a crude, nihilistic film that it can be considered a great piece of art by its own merits. The risky themes adressed, the dark and passionate style, the intense narrative; it all adds to compose one of the first —and best— steps of modern Japanese cinema.

12. emichan's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

13. Mostafa Javadi's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

apparently close to the new-wave in the substances and really pioneering in love scenes, but I think this film ironically suffers from its hypocritical perspective toward new generation and their behavior. Screenwriter Shintarô Ishihara (later"far right politician") prefer giving an incisive warning message about an uprising dangerous lifestyle and morality instead of efforts for knowing it.

14. Sifragum's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Still searching for this piece ... someone knows where I can find it thank you!

15. pixienat's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Some of the acting is pretty terrible, and I'll admit it took me two times to sit down and try and watch this film, but the second time I found myself intrigued by the film. I didn't like the soundtrack, but I dug the ending.

16. Jon K's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

A fine array of flamboyant men's shirts on display in this film.

17. slaepwerigne's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

while i wouldn't be in a rush to discourage people from watching this, as it's certainly culturally significant (as explained elsewhere), i do think that the film itself sucks.

18. iheartllama's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

The beginning of a new era in Japanese cinema. Delightful flashes of what would be deemed "unprofessional" before now rupturing the narrative flow and quickly becoming the staple of a whole new genre.

19. dBainy's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

scorn can be very wicked. yes, we are savages.

20. Andy Oettl's rating of the film Crazed Fruit

Another great discovery by Criterion, this cornerstone of the Japanese New Wave is a gracefully filmed, timeless and sexually tense portrait of disaffected privileged young people.