1. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Cruising

If there was ever a litmus test in mainstream cinema for the open-mindedness of straight men, this is certainly it. It's not just a bleak and depressing giallo-inspired horror film, but pulls no punches in its explicitness of gay male S&M subculture. Like Pacino's character, Cruising puts your comfort level in uncharted territories. Surely more confrontational in its subversion than Friedkin's The Exorcist for many.

2. Joe Zaydon's rating of the film Cruising

I get the feeling this one died on the cutting room floor.

3. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film Cruising

4/10. CRUISING plays like a depiction of gay fetish culture as seen by a straight man. The seedy underground clubs never feel immersive--merely an attempt at shock value. Furthermore, the question at the center of the film--Pacino's character's questioning his sexuality--is so muted and played down so as to have been rendered frustratingly unreadable.

4. Igor Ramos's rating of the film Cruising

Tiny Pacino does the best he can with a leading character that lacks development: he was undercover for the job and for the audience, since I couldn't perceive whether he was genuinely disgusted or secretly tempted by what he saw cruising the hardcore gay underworld of NY city. The killer could have been more interesting too. However, jockstraps, leather clothes, sweat and deaths were enough to keep me entertained.

5. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Cruising

6. Pedderrs's rating of the film Cruising

The underground gay subculture of New York City provides the backdrop for a series of murders and undercover policeman Al Pacino is expected to catch the killer. The performances and the photography are noteworthy, but Friedkin's maligned murder mystery isn't easy to decipher. Characters take on figurative meanings in Cruising—almost to the point of confusion—and by the end you're not entirely sure what's happened.

7. Mathias Palmberg's rating of the film Cruising

This movie was grim and depressing as hell. The production design and style really brings the horrific murder story to life and the acting, while a bit uneven, works as well. The depiction of the gay S&M-culture seems sad, desperate and volatile which probably is a sign of the times but in hindsight it feels highly speculative. Still the movie is interesting although flawed and ambigous in its plotting.

8. lessthanzero's rating of the film Cruising

Classic (and controversial) film showing the seedy side of 80's gay culture in NYC. What more could you ask for?

9. Adam M's rating of the film Cruising

My new favorite Pacino film.

10. Violet Rien's rating of the film Cruising

Ok to watch if you crave for a thriller and do not have anything else in hand. It will do it, but it won't kill your thirst completely.

11. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Cruising

I think that at the time it was difficult not to see this as a representation of gay culture, because there weren't many balanced portrayals out there. Now it's easier to see it for what it was, which was just one aspect of the culture. This was back when Pacino was still an actor, and his performance is very nuanced.

12. Matt Reddick's rating of the film Cruising

Friedkin creates such an intense atmosphere, I could smell the B.O. ... too many mis-directions (the same cops at the beginning show up again at the end, the LT recognizes one, and then... dropped)

13. Elena Lazic's rating of the film Cruising

14. Dear Crying,'s rating of the film Cruising

It makes my mind melt to think about what the director's cut to this movie would be like. Apparently in buffing out an initial X-rating, they cut out 40 minutes of footage, which somehow got destroyed in the vault. As such, the plot doesn't come together. That being said, it's STILL an an amazing experience.

15. Word...Life's rating of the film Cruising

four stars for the daring nature of making a film about the seedy underbelly of violent sexual fetish. uncomfortable, sitting on a fist while watching and enjoying some water sports. Pacino and Friedkin.

16. kari1717's rating of the film Cruising

17. Gonçalo Rosas's rating of the film Cruising

7 - I never let a film’s sociopolitical leanings have much of an impact on my opinion of it, but it must be said that the accusations of homophobia leveled at this piece are ridiculous; it’s an (exemplary, if troubled) 80s thriller, it thematically trades in sleaze pretty much by default, and it needs an oppressive tone to complement this. Nightlife, gay or straight, has a dark side, and Friedkin pulled no punches.

18. Dominic Simard-Jean's rating of the film Cruising

A+ Intense and shocking cinema like only master Friedkin can do. I really don't see anything not working well in this, it's psycholagically very effective as well as being superbly directed by Friedkin, who can film the vibe of a city like nobody else, and who went distance to shoot those club scenes and give them the real feel. I love the musical theme also.

19. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Cruising

Por encima de un filme detectivesco, "A la caza" es un filme sobre un detective descubriendo una nueva personalidad, una nueva vida, una nueva sexualidad. Friedkin es sugerente al momento de ir empujando a su protagonista a ese lado sórdido aunque provocador. La ley sin embargo parece siempre estar a la merced de ese circuito. Hay una dura crítica a la autoridad desde sus entrañas. Al Pacino en un magnífico papel.

20. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Cruising

21. Mary in the Sky with Movies's rating of the film Cruising

My grandpa is a weird man. For christmas eve he decided we would watch a movie. Al Pacino playing a gay serial killer, why not? What a great christmas movie. Well... It is a great movie.

22. Ronja's rating of the film Cruising

sound is so powerful in this film: the music, the silence, the voice, everything. the sudden ending got me real puzzled.

23. yulquen's rating of the film Cruising

al's bondage cuffs gave an outstanding performance.

24. algazarra's rating of the film Cruising